Wood Burner and Hot Water

Ballynoes

33 minutes ago, Ballynoes said:

I wish we had gas, but live in the country, so don't even have sewage, or decent broadband, but that's the price you pay for piece and quiet surrounded by your own fields... not complaining though. ?

I still find it difficult to comprehend that you cant "feed" a hot water cylinder with two different form of heating, after all I was under the impression that you had to occasionally heat the hot water tank to a certain temperature, to make sure certain bacteria don't thrive... or is that another myth. ?

To feed a hot tank from two sources is OK, but controlling them so that they can both work effectively is the challenge.  For example, I installed a big thermal store initially, and pre-heated this when it was cold from the ASHP.  This raised the temperature of the tank up to about 40°C, as long as it wasn't already at that high a temperature.  The immersion heater, run from excess PV generation, then provided the energy needed to get the thermal store up to around 65°C.  If the tank was above 40°C then the ASHP couldn't provide any useful heat to it.

The need to boost the temperature of stored hot water enough to kill off legionella is probably an over-blown risk, provided that you're using mains water and a sealed UVC.  Legionella cannot get into the mains water supply (the reason mains water is usually post-treated with a persistent disinfecting agent is to ensure this) so if it isn't in the supply water, and the tank is sealed, there's no way for any bacteria to multiply, as there won't be a way for them to get in in the first place.  Also, legionella stop multiplying at a temperature of about 45°C, and so holding the tank at 50 to 55°C may not kill them, but will cause them to go dormant (not that they can get inside a sealed system anyway).  Finally, regular hot water use will flush the contents of the tank through before any bacteria (which can't get in) have a chance to set up home. 

If you have a vented hot water system, then things are different, and an anti-legionella temperature cycle with an immersion heater, to heat the tank to above 60°C every week or two would be a good idea.

If you got mains elec--then why not just run ASHP for underfloor 

sounds like a lot of complications 

I have run a 2 source heat system and  as has been said good control to get best   from both systems is not easy 

when i up graded heat source to ashp from previous system --nothing was changed on the exisiting UFH 

just the heat source 

I used a mitsubishi ashp with their pre-plumbed tank+ pumps etc  which does all the hot water as well 

simple solution 

the only complication Iadded was solar thermal panel ,as the tank was already plumbed for that as well

80% of hot water over the year comes from the solar thermal 

resulting energy savings over the lpg system+solar thermal  was impressive  

lpg bill was £1500 --that dissappeared and my elec bil only went up by £500--so £1000 saving 

worh a look i feel  for a simple integrated system 

then you get the RHI  payment for next 6 years as well

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, Ballynoes said:

The trouble with a thermal store is you need to store water hotter than your required DHW temperature, otherwise it will only be able to deliver a tiny amount of water before the temperature drops.  A heat pump will struggle to get a thermal store hot enough  That is why an UVC is better for use with a heat pump as you heat it to the desired water temperature and it will then deliver pretty much that temperature water until it runs out.

Which brings us back to the issue that is is very complicated to link a stove to an UVC. Much less so to link a stove to a thermal store.

There does not seem to be an easy solution for stove and ASHP heating the same hot water system.

5 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Relative to absolute zero (-273) your maths looks plausible but surely what is significant to ASHP is the heat capacity available down to the minimum chilling operating range of an ASHP. If an ASHP can chill to -10, then the available heat capacity at -5 is half of that available at Zero.

Obviously there's a low temperature beyond which any particular refrigerant will not work but thinking about the amount of heat in the input air to a heat pump is confusing. If there's less heat in a m³ of air the cure is just to blow more air through. That'll mean a bit more electricity to drive the fan but that's all.

The limitation on the CoP of a heat pump is set by the basic laws of thermodynamics. Real heat pumps will get about half this limit but do tend to scale roughly in proportion.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/heatpump.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

plotting for this new house  for various water heating systems

It seems I could end up with having to remove about 40+ trees  (most about 10-12" dia,some much larger and 30ft+ tall)

,to start with   and possibly  a lot more in due course

my question to those using wood burner for water heating + large tank

how long does one tree last ?

Is it worth getting a wood burning unit to use them  or just try to sell/get rid  of  them

Edited by scottishjohn

One of those trees would last me a season so that would be a lifetime supply for me. But we don't need the stove much and we don't heat hot water with it.

But I would have no trouble finding people to give it too if I needed to get rid of it.

17 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

how long does one tree last ?

Work out the dry mass, multiple by the energy content, multiply that by the system efficiency and you have your answer.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

One of those trees would last me a season so that would be a lifetime supply for me

Takes a lifetime to grow some trees too.

I wish people that burn trees would count the rings they have before they throw them on  the fire.  That may bring home just what an inefficient 'storage and energy' system biomass is.

On 08/03/2019 at 09:28, Ballynoes said:

The question is, how easy is it to connect a wood burner to a hot water storage tank, as hot water will probably be our biggest use of energy.

Simple really, just match up your system components suitably.

My friend has a Bosky Thermorossi which feeds two 100/120?litre water tanks for DHW and his C/H system with an injection Tee on the return - which he tuned by reducing the radiator diameter return pipe by crimping slightly which gives him the perfect balance for his needs. The tanks have there own cisterns and are vented. They thermosyphon so the pump only kicks in when demand for heating is required or the system needs to dump heat which is done with a fairly simple yet clever set of thermostats and pump controls. The underfloor heating aspect I believe always receives a trickle so that the slab temp cannot drop too low.

The system is very simple, works like a dream and as he has unlimited supply of firewood it is the most economical thing in the world for him to run. In summer he can heat DHW with plate heaters in the tanks which interestingly is connected into a waste oil generator system so that is free too. 

His system was so successful he also designed and advised on the install of a identical system for a farmhouse where the couple were paying £1000's for gas delivery's. They now certainly buy poles (not yet logged) and prepare it themselves but I think it costs him £200 a year and the local farmer stores it for him dry and he only takes what he can split and store at any given time. 

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

One of those trees would last me a season so that would be a lifetime supply for me. But we don't need the stove much and we don't heat hot water with it.

But I would have no trouble finding people to give it too if I needed to get rid of it.

but if no other heat source --AND using that as main heat supply --how long .

the thought is that in the garage?service are there will be more than enough room for multiple heat sources  or changing from one to another in due course 

I  got to cut these trees anyway  as they have grown up around the house  since it was last occupied  in 1960,s

2 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

DHW with plate heaters in the tanks which interestingly is connected into a waste oil generator system so that is free too. 

I know to use waste oil heaters in commercial application  now  you need a license 

it was favourite way to heat workshops  with endless supply of used engine oil

.now the cost of a clean burn  approved  waste oil burner etc makes it not a good choice any more in most cases

1 minute ago, bassanclan said:

I've got a Dunsley Yorkshire wood burner with boiler, but on my next project I will definitely look at log gasification boilers as the government subsidy means they pay for themselves in 6/7 years. Worth looking into

that does not seem a good deal ,with all the effort involved in making logs to start with 

57 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

£5k for a range -- again a life style choice not a serious economic choice --

in my mind  that is 

Depends if you will see a ROI, which he has. He could have probably gone cheaper but that is his kettle and oven too.

It's cost him about £100 in 12 years to run it so I would say that is very economical.

As for cost of the Bosky - at today's prices: 5k / 12 / 12 £34.72 a month but he paid about £2800 at the time. So £19.44 p/m and falling with every month that passes.