Wild weather and my roof

My roof is flattish - shaped like a lop sided bow different heights at either end and all goes into a central drainage channel so no visible gutters.  All carefully calculated and works perfectly in normal circs however the wild weather of the last few days has created an interesting phenomenon. 

The wind is howling at god knows how many miles an hour we are high on a ridge and very exposed. The winds blow straight across 40 miles or so before hitting us as the first high point.  The rain is torrential and the wind is blowing the water sideways off the roof before it can flow down to the hidden drainage channel and away.  Its like niagara coming over the edge..... been caught once won't get caught again - soaked through LOL

The real solution is to grow a shelter belt or barrier round the other end.

The short term way may be an upstanding is or some sort of thing on the roof, to stop the water or diffuse the wind.

I guess you could so something that looked like a Breeze (!) Soleil that would help, or some invisible thing on the roof, which would really be a bit of a bridge.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

We do have an upstand but the wind is so strong at the mo its blowing it right over it just like topping a sea wall.  Hopefully weather will calm down soon. 

Neighbours behind us have tiles off, thats not unusual here on the ridgeway.  We put lots of extra strapping on the roof which hopefully will hold it down however wild the wind gets.  We had to reduce the size of our overhangs to make it sensible for the engineering on the roof, it sits on top of the house like a hat and too big a 'brim' would have given wind a hand in lifting our hat off.

5 minutes ago, lizzie said:

We do have an upstand but the wind is so strong at the mo its blowing it right over it just like topping a sea wall.  Hopefully weather will calm down soon. 

Neighbours behind us have tiles off, thats not unusual here on the ridgeway.  We put lots of extra strapping on the roof which hopefully will hold it down however wild the wind gets.  We had to reduce the size of our overhangs to make it sensible for the engineering on the roof, it sits on top of the house like a hat and too big a 'brim' would have given wind a hand in lifting our hat off.

If it is like a sea wall can you put a overhang along the back of your upstand?

Something like a wooden batten, or some sort of L profile or gutter mounted upside down, on the back? If it is too big there are shed gutters.

Perhaps you need to experiment?

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

Me experiment with the roof.....LOL I am still getting used to silicone and the shower screen.

But seriously thank you, I think it will only be a problem in certain weather conditions, it has not happened before this last few days and the stormy weather.

54 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Me experiment with the roof.....LOL I am still getting used to silicone and the shower screen.

But seriously thank you, I think it will only be a problem in certain weather conditions, it has not happened before this last few days and the stormy weather.

So plant some trees and wait ?.

Or get a car that comes with a brolly pocket in each front door, complete with brollies ?.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eplEBb4m5E

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

My shed roof is 45 degrees and faces straight into the weather as it comes of the ocean, in wild weather the water blows up the tin profiles and of over the ridge...... 

• Like 1