ICF Self-build

Pav

Hi all. Nice to be here.

Two years ago we moved to a house in disrepair sitting on a 0.5 acre plot. We were initially thinking of renovating, but now decided a better option is to erect new house next to the existing one and demolish the current one when the build is finished.

I am designing the house myself (using https://www.homedesignersoftware.com) and will be using planning consultant to get us through planning.

Right now, we are at a point where we will need structural engineer who knows their way with concrete buildings or, ideally - the ICF method. This is to validate the design and ensure it can actually be built at reasonable cost. A recommendation or two would be really helpful ... 

Thanks

Pav

You may do better to send your design to some ICF companies for pricing and they should know enough to highlight what may be tricky / expensive.  Also, things like cill and lintel heights can make a difference to how easy to build with some systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have just finished our icf, we went with nudura very happy with the outcome,

nudura rep. Steve burgess 07703565594. 

Structural engineer. Anthony Bartlam 01527835000

having looked through a lot of companies portfolios I can’t see any reason you can’t build what you want with icf. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, we've been in touch with some ICF suppliers. Our design features several curved walls which is what makes ICF so suitable. We also have experience building with reinforced concrete, which is another factor. 

I guess, at this point, I just need to verify if some of the elements of the design are not in the "impossible" range and will not be prohibitively expensive to do. 

Thanks
Pav

Welcome -we are also planning to build with ICF and have spent the last few months deciding on which our favourite ICF flavour is.  Lots of useful information on here to help your decision making process.

• Like 1