Bankrupt / liquidation - reminder to use credit card

Roz

Hi everyone

We've unfortunately heard that our window supplier has gone bankrupt. It's a little complicated for us but I thought I'd use it as a reminder to pay for large items at least in part on credit card. Especially ones that will take a while to produce. 

Also - trust your guts, if people seem too 'salesy', maybe there's a reason. We did feel this, but built up a good relationship in the end. We won't know what really happened, but perhaps a reminder to everyone will help it not happen to anyone else. If you pay at least £100 on a credit card, and the rest by bank transfer or other card, you should be covered by 'section 75' if the purchase total is under £30,000. The credit card company should refund you the money, as they take on liability.

Fingers crossed our slightly complicated case will get through the section 75 and we'll get our money back too. 

Sending good vibes out there!

Edited by Roz
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Which company is it that has just gone bust in this case?

It's a timber window supplier down here in Cornwall, but supplying nationwide. I'm reluctant to post about it until our claim is sorted, but happy to PM anyone that is worried about it. The website is down, phone number disconnected, the owner has been published as bankrupt on the insolvency register. So should be that that's it for now. Lots of unhappy customers online.

Sorry to hear your news @Roz and I hope that your section 75 claim is successful. 

Indeed a good reminder to people to trust their gut and maybe now is also the time to walk away from sellers that are not prepared for you to pay even a small amount of the cost by credit card. 

• Like 1

It might be worth mentioning that when I called the credit card company about this their initial response was that they could only refund the amount paid on credit card, it took 3 'are you sure? This is contrary to everything I have read's to get them to ask the right person and then be told Section 75 is processed in a different way and it should, indeed, cover payments from other accounts. The process is to write to them to 'invoke' section 75.

Additionally, citizens advice have draft letters to help things along, and give you lots of fancy phrases to start you off. I'd recommend contacting them for anyone unsure about where to start. 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Sorry to hear your news @Roz and I hope that your section 75 claim is successful. 

Indeed a good reminder to people to trust their gut and maybe now is also the time to walk away from sellers that are not prepared for you to pay even a small amount of the cost by credit card. 

Yes, agreed!