Apex /angled window opening - anyone got one?

Roz

Hi

In discussion with a window manufacturer, we had planning to have our apex window split into three or six sections with the middle or top middle one opening to allow fire escape. 

However, they are a bit confused about how to get an angled window to open properly, and wondered if I had any pictures. Do any of you have this? If so can you post pictures as the joiners are keen to see!

We said we would be happy to have it tilt and turn, casement,or otherwise, as long as it suited the style of the other flush windows.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 19.11.55.png

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Let me know if you get it, as I’m a bit of a computer thicko. 

I got it, thanks! But I'm not sure if it solves their problem. I think they could fathom a square window set at an angle with 90 degree corners, but ours is a pentagon and they are concerned about the way it will open because of this. Does that make sense?

41 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have a look at how a Velux roof window opens, that could solve it. 

They mentioned a pivot, I wonder if that would work. None of the other companies I spoke to mentioned an issue,so don't know if these guys are just being extra attentive to detail.

Edited by Roz

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hi, I have just had an e mail with this exact thing in it

send me your e mail via pm and I will forward it to you. 

wasn't for this was it? https://idealcombi.com/inspiration/arts-crafts-house/?utm_source=BuildItSolus&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=ArtsAndCrafts&utm_term=ArtsAndCrafts&utm_content=ArtsAndCrafts

I think the issue they will be having is that a tilt and turn window that shape will be able to open but it won't be able to flip over all the way as it would hit the frame.

Some of these windows also have very long hinges at the sides that might be an issue.

I don't see why it cannot be done as a casement window though.

But I wouldn't be telling a window company how to make a window, if they don't know how to make it already I would be concerned.

How high is that window off the floor, it looks like it might be too high to be a fire escape window? Why not make one of the lower windows the fire escape window. It would I think just need a restrictor. This would solve the problem, make the higher window fixed.

21 minutes ago, AliG said:

I think the issue they will be having is that a tilt and turn window that shape will be able to open but it won't be able to flip over all the way as it would hit the frame.

Some of these windows also have very long hinges at the sides that might be an issue.

I don't see why it cannot be done as a casement window though.

But I wouldn't be telling a window company how to make a window, if they don't know how to make it already I would be concerned.

How high is that window off the floor, it looks like it might be too high to be a fire escape window? Why not make one of the lower windows the fire escape window. It would I think just need a restrictor. This would solve the problem, make the higher window fixed.

It's 1100mm I think so should be OK. That drawings isn't quite accurate but the barn in general is a lot smaller than it looks!  I did wonder about making one of the bottom ones a window... this might be a solution if nothing else works out and we do go with this company.

They think they can make it as a casement, they are just worried about the detail of ensuring it opens smoothly and doesn't have any issues with the seal and the angle of the wood coming away from each other as they're flush casement. But not sure!