Kwikstage scaffolding questions

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

I'd rotated it in windows (which then showed it the correct way around), but when uploaded, it changed it back :(

Would it be wroth screwing a piece of batten underneath to stop it from twisting and possibly pull it back in?

One supplier told me to keep throwing water over the boards

I know the feeling :-).

That usually means that somehow you have only rotated the thumbnail. A Refresh on the thumbnail may rotate it back if it has not worked.

Plan B is a mini app like eg Irfanview.

Got 18 bays up this week and just wondered about the 7cm gap left on the boards. Am I right in saying that's there for fitting a board as a toe board, or would the toe board normally sit on top of the floor?

23 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Got 18 bays up this week and just wondered about the 7cm gap left on the boards. Am I right in saying that's there for fitting a board as a toe board, or would the toe board normally sit on top of the floor?

Not sure what you mean, can you put up a pic.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Toe board sits on top. I think. 

I bet you don’t need to go to the gym tonight. 

Heavy isn’t it. 

lol ok ok, you were right :P Starts off ok but lifting boards up onto the transoms gets to you after a while lol  I'm still happy I've decided to go with Kwikstage though :)

45 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Not sure what you mean, can you put up a pic.

The gap with the yellow arrows. It shows it on the outside there but the problem is with the boards that run parallel with the return transom. The gap that is yellow arrowed, is where the blue arrows are. I wish I had a clearer pic :(

gap.jpg

Edited by Vijay

60mm boards for toe boards is surely overkill?? I'd have thought being able to use normal scaffold boards would have been perfectly adequate and cheaper?

No I haven't got any clips as I don't have toe boards and I already blew the scaffold budget lol

28 minutes ago, Vijay said:

60mm boards for toe boards is surely overkill?? I'd have thought being able to use normal scaffold boards would have been perfectly adequate and cheaper?

No I haven't got any clips as I don't have toe boards and I already blew the scaffold budget lol

It's just how it's done. 

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bring back this thread but need to check something I may have cocked up on :(

Forgetting the fact it's more difficult to get boards up, is a 2.5m lift (so 5 pegs) too much between transoms/ledgers? The lifts on top of that will be 2 x 2m/4 pegs. Is that safe?

26 minutes ago, Vijay said:

sorry to bring back this thread but need to check something I may have cocked up on :(

Forgetting the fact it's more difficult to get boards up, is a 2.5m lift (so 5 pegs) too much between transoms/ledgers? The lifts on top of that will be 2 x 2m/4 pegs. Is that safe?

Yes that will be safe, just harder to lift the planks up.

• 1 month later...

This thread has been very useful for me to get my head round kwikstage scaffolding so thanks for the collective Buildhub knowledge!

I have a few things I'm not clear on. I am planning on getting 2 x 32' bays for each side of the barn I am renovating and some normal scaffolding for one end that is a bit more complicated.  The other end already has a flat roof I can use. It will all be used for other projects so I want to have a bit of flexibility.

1. ladder - if my main lift is 3.5m high would I be right in thinking I need a 5m ladder?

2. ladder access - would a typical way of setting up the ladder be something like this.?.....https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-scaffolding-and-a-ladder-access-safety-gate-on-a-building-site-59693078.html

I spoke to scaffolding direct and they were talking about a ladder access transom where the ladder comes from the inside and I guess a ladder hatch as well. While I guess that would be safer it seems to get in the way a bit.

3. if I was using a ladder access gate as in the above link what do you do with the ledgers that would normally span the whole bay? Do you fix the gate to the corner standard and then use round scaffolding to fill in?

4. if in the future I wanted to use the kwikstage for a 90 degree return how many return transoms would I need?

5. any kwikstage bits not included in a normal bay package that might prove very useful in the future? toe board bracket (not needed for the barn as virtually no soffit)? extra braces for the ends if it is hard to fix to the existing structure?

thanks for any advice.

Don't take this as a "how to" rather a "what I did"

Here you see my longer ladder right up to the top platform .

Re extra bracing.  I used some spare diagonal braces to add extra bracing to the corners with the bottoms staked to the ground. Note also the "bracing tower" projecting to the right in the middle of this span.

flue_scaffold.thumb.jpg.1d26f7f478a14c2fd7f18c00a369376e.jpg

Firstly, if you need a brilliant supplier, I bought a load from these guys https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/ and dealt with Rob, who was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I'm a complete newbie with Kwikstage but thanks to the guys on here, got the first floor of my scaffold up without too much issue. So here's my thoughts:

1. It would make sense to me to have a slightly longer ladder so you have rungs to hold while stepping on/off.

2. That's how I thought of doing it and how I've seen normal scaffold/ladders. I personally am going for stairs and and access transom when I go higher.

3. What I planned to do was to use normal scaffold to create the vertical that the gate would attach to, then use another scaffold pole to create the handrail that attaches to the vertical pole.

4. As per the advice I got on this post, I used a return transom on each level when turning 90 degrees.

My build is Northampton if you ever want a visit. IIRC a couple of people gave the offer and great advice to see some in the flesh. I didn't go to anyones site but it would have been very useful to see exactly how it goes up.

And for what it's worth, although it was work getting the scaffold up in the heat we had, I'm really happy I went down the Kwikstage route :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Don't take this as a "how to" rather a "what I did"

Here you see my longer ladder right up to the top platform .

Re extra bracing.  I used some spare diagonal braces to add extra bracing to the corners with the bottoms staked to the ground. Note also the "bracing tower" projecting to the right in the middle of this span.

flue_scaffold.thumb.jpg.1d26f7f478a14c2fd7f18c00a369376e.jpg

ladder should be 1m above stepping off point and tied in. it's not the stepping off which is difficult with nothing to hold onto, it's the going back down.

1 minute ago, Simplysimon said:

ladder should be 1m above stepping off point and tied in. it's not the stepping off which is difficult with nothing to hold onto, it's the going back down.

I did say that was not "how to do it"

It WAS tied.

On 12/09/2019 at 18:49, Vijay said:

My build is Northampton if you ever want a visit. IIRC a couple of people gave the offer and great advice to see some in the flesh. I didn't go to anyones site but it would have been very useful to see exactly how it goes up.

I appreciate the offer - I don't think I will have time to have a look as so much going on. I think I'm almost there with my order. Just trying to work out how many normal scaffold fittings I need now!