Kwikstage scaffolding questions

when placing the adjustable feet, wind the nut up at least a 'fist' distance, this allows for the scaffold to be levelled and if on level ground won't need much adjustment. when adjusting to level always wind nut down, easier and less wear.

2 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Meant from the bottom of the standard to the first transom fitting connector ;) 

250mm.  The same gap between the top peg and the top of the standard, so when 2 standards are plugged together the same nominal 500mm spacing is maintained.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

250mm.  The same gap between the top peg and the top of the standard, so when 2 standards are plugged together the same nominal 500mm spacing is maintained.

Cheers bud, that makes sense :)

I assume people just use ledgers and transoms for safety handrails (and midrail) at the top working platforms? Or are there specific items used as handrails?

If I have 2 x 2.4 bays, side by side, am I right in saying I use 1 standard with a transom coming off each side and then one ledger in the middle of the 2 bays?

side by side.jpg

36 minutes ago, Vijay said:

If I have 2 x 2.4 bays, side by side, am I right in saying I use 1 standard with a transom coming off each side and then one ledger in the middle of the 2 bays?

side by side.jpg

That is correct.

brillaint :)  Would it be a 2 x ledgers or 4 x transoms for the hand rails at that double bay, or could they both work? Might be an idea to have a gate for for loading there

Dawn on me today it has to be two transoms because of the fixings.

So just the bracing to sort now. If you guy in the know would see what you think of this bracing. Yellow lines show where I would use bracing (sort of every 4 bays). Obviously where it's double storey, I would zigzag it up (red line separates the single and double storey areas).

Bracing.thumb.jpg.88b707459ecee36918213a6b62e0d818.jpg

Edited by Vijay

5 minutes ago, Vijay said:

What's the views on used/refurbed or new?  I'm sure I read on a post somewhere not to bother with used boards?

I bought second hand kwikstage, the company I bought it off wouldn’t sell me second hand boards, I had to buy new. You just don’t know where the second hand boards have been, or how they’ve been abused.

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

What's the views on used/refurbed or new?  I'm sure I read on a post somewhere not to bother with used boards?

used/well used though must have pegs and wedges, keep your eyes open especially on gumtree, preloved and ebay as prices vary wildly for quantities. if possible go for steel staging. i'm buying as and when to get sufficient.

23 hours ago, Triassic said:

I bought second hand kwikstage, the company I bought it off wouldn’t sell me second hand boards, I had to buy new. You just don’t know where the second hand boards have been, or how they’ve been abused.

So definitely new boards. It's a good point that I won't know the history of them and I will be using them for years.

21 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

used/well used though must have pegs and wedges, keep your eyes open especially on gumtree, preloved and ebay as prices vary wildly for quantities. if possible go for steel staging. i'm buying as and when to get sufficient.

What do you mean by steel staging?

Steel staging is "boards" made of steel. More expensive but they don't rot.

I ruined some of my boards because I stored them badly.  When I went to set it up and found the issue I "tested" them.  I suspended the end of each plank on a 4" concrete block, then jumped up and down in the middle.  If the board did not break and did not sound like it was creaking, I used it.  I managed to buy some second hand boards from a local scaffold company that was stopping using Kwikstage in favour of Cuplock.(The Cuplock boards are about 1" longer so not interchangeable)

I enquired about steel staging boards. I was told they still can rust so I assume they are not galvanised then?  In the PDF manual I posted earlier, it says steelstage is galvanised...................................

I can get used steel stage boards for the price of new wood boards

Edited by Vijay

10 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I can get used steel stage boards for the price of new wood boards

I found exactly the same so went for used steel staging. When the time comes to sell I think it'll be easier to offload steel rather than used timber

38 minutes ago, willbish said:

[...] When the time comes to sell I think it'll be easier to offload steel rather than used timber

My wooden staging is already spoken for, and thats before I have finished with it. The family have descended like locusts and ' need '  the staging for their gardens. Its the popularity of raised vegetable beds....

Our kids have been abusing the word need since they realised that - used with care and a bit of guile - it works wonders sometimes.

Been told by one supplier that the timber planks they supply are treated

So would second hand steel planks be preferred to new timber ones? Realistically, my scaffold will be up for another year or 2, possibly a bit longer - so at least 2 more winters too.

In terms of selling on at the end, I wonder if new Kwikstage would fair better in selling easier. I can't see it getting too damaged on my build, probably some scuffs. The difference between used and new is about 5k or so

Edited by Vijay

I assumed all new timber boards would be the same. Another supplier has said their boards aren't treated, just machine graded and to a British standard :(

Anyone used the Kwikstage staircases? I'm contemplating them as I'll be working on my own and thinking it would be a lot safer than ladders

Edited by Vijay

23 hours ago, Vijay said:

In terms of selling on at the end, I wonder if new Kwikstage would fair better in selling easier. I can't see it getting too damaged on my build, probably some scuffs. The difference between used and new is about 5k or so

it'll sell new or used, if 5k cheaper, that's 5k saved. if it costs 10k to buy, sell for 8k, 3 years of scaffold for 2k. i'm buying second hand for about the same price as having it hired and erected but that price was for the duration of the kit erection. i'll need to pay to have it erected, i can do it myself but insurance is another matter, it will also be up for as long as i need it. i reckon i will sell it for more than i'm buying it, unless it goes to another buildhubber.

there were stairs on ebay for £450 for 5, so not excessive. i think the biggest problem will be getting them 2nd hand