Kwikstage scaffolding questions

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

You use a return transoms to tie together 2 different runs. It won't fit if there is a standard in the way. 

If you want to tie standards together you use clamps and short round bar or another ledger if it's a wider gap. 

As for the size of the hop,  that's up to you.  You could use a double  board and set it 100mm from the wall and that would give plenty of room.  

Yeah I know the return transoms are used when I turn 90 degrees but just wanted to confirm what you said about a standard in the way - you have to remember I don't know what I'm doing so need to confirm my dumb thoughts lol

So a double hop with 100mm gap would mean the standard being 610 away from the wall according to that drawing I posted. I'm guessing no more than 100mm gap to prevent a foot or anything else falling through?

7 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Yeah I know the return transoms are used when I turn 90 degrees but just wanted to confirm what you said about a standard in the way - you have to remember I don't know what I'm doing so need to confirm my dumb thoughts lol

So a double hop with 100mm gap would mean the standard being 610 away from the wall according to that drawing I posted. I'm guessing no more than 100mm gap to prevent a foot or anything else falling through?

There might be a standard in the way,  it just depends on how it works out.  If so then just use round bar and clamps.  

100mm is just to stop you falling down and also to leave enough room if it sways when it's being loaded up.  It will move in and out so you don't want it hitting the wall. 

I think we might have covered this before, but is there a reason you need to scaffold all the way around 

i just brought as much as I wanted to pay for really £4000,

we do spend a lot of time moving it about, but paying out £12000 would be a bit painful 

i suppose you can sell it as it comes down so you can do your internal fit out. 

I think i have just convinced myself to buy some more. 

3 hours ago, Declan52 said:

There might be a standard in the way,  it just depends on how it works out.  If so then just use round bar and clamps.  

100mm is just to stop you falling down and also to leave enough room if it sways when it's being loaded up.  It will move in and out so you don't want it hitting the wall. 

I've been told it moves but that much? :O I planned to strap it through the windows and use some timbers against the wall to stop it moving as advised by someone on here ;) 

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think we might have covered this before, but is there a reason you need to scaffold all the way around 

i just brought as much as I wanted to pay for really £4000,

we do spend a lot of time moving it about, but paying out £12000 would be a bit painful 

i suppose you can sell it as it comes down so you can do your internal fit out. 

I think i have just convinced myself to buy some more. 

Yes mate, ICF remember so need it for concrete pour days ;)    All I could do is order what I need to the whole downstairs, then move the whole garage area and other single storey rooms to do the upper storeys. I'd more than likely have to order a but more to get to the gables

Is having a 220mm gap at the end of a 3 board hop up a really bad idea? It would allow me to keep a run straight. Could I safely board the gap?

Also, what do you do where hop up boards meet at corners???

Sorry to be going round in circles but it just occurred to me, where I don't need to go any higher than the soffit boards, why wouldn't I have the scaffold say 100mm from the wall with no hop up boards. The 450mm soffit only really matters where I need to carry on with the scaffold for the gables? Just extra expense on hop up brackets and steel boards isn't it?

Edited by Vijay

• 3 weeks later...

Where I have a lift of say 6970, which I would be using 1 x 9'9" and 2 x 6'6" standards, would I use 4 transoms, one at the bottom, one at the top and 1 between each standard joint?

6 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Where I have a lift of say 6970, which I would be using 1 x 9'9" and 2 x 6'6" standards, would I use 4 transoms, one at the bottom, one at the top and 1 between each standard joint?

I use 1 transom per lift, i.e every 4 pegs up the standard.  More if you want proper handrails at every lift so one transom every 2 pegs all the way up.  Arguable even more if you have dual handrails.

so no matter what lengths of standard, you have 1 transom (and I assume ledger?) every 4 pegs, so approx every 1.8m?

I wasn't planning on using handrails anywhere but my working platforms

6 minutes ago, Vijay said:

so no matter what lengths of standard, you have 1 transom (and I assume ledger?) every 4 pegs, so approx every 1.8m?

I wasn't planning on using handrails anywhere but my working platforms

You have to build it up somehow.  So you put a layer of planks on, then working from that put the next layer on 4 pegs up. Even if the lower ones don't end up as working platforms you still need them temporarily to work from even if those planks then get moved up to the next level as you go.

OK, makes sense about needing to work off the platform to do the one above. So the ledgers and transoms get left in place as you go up and you just move the boards up each level

So is the every 4 pegs you mentioned your personal preference or the safe limit (so the structure is safe) for the ledgers and transoms? 

Yes I leave the metalwork for lower levels in place (unless I am running really short)

4 pegs is as high as I can lift the planks up to the next layer without standing on anything, that is the only reason I say that. If you are really tall you might just make 5.

Thanks Dave. I'd have never thought of lifting planks to next level. I think with two of us, we should easily be able to do 5 pegs which I believe is around 2m.

Is lifting boards 2.5m too much though (for 2 people) as I could save on a row of transoms and ledgers?  I'm already getting towards kwikstage outweighing getting normal scaffold I think :(

I've got no experience with Kwikstage which is probably obvious from all my questions lol but I thought a 2.4m board could be lifted by one person and pulled by the other to raise them? I totally get that a single person could seriously struggle

My main concern is not over spacing them so it's structurally safe ;)

Edited by Vijay

The point is, if you do a platform every 4 pegs / 2M you can put all the metalwork up for the next stage and then put the planks in place, just by standing on the stage below.  If you insist on doing it every 2.5 metres, you are going to have to stand on something to put the metalwork in for the next lift, and then stand on something to slot the boards in there.

41 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I've got no experience with Kwikstage which is probably obvious from all my questions lol but I thought a 2.4m board could be lifted by one person and pulled by the other to raise them? I totally get that a single person could seriously struggle

My main concern is not over spacing them so it's structurally safe ;)

Nothing structural about the boards on Kwikstage - they just slot between transoms. Integrity comes from the transoms, ledgers and the cross braces every 4 bays.

When you are putting this stuff up, always wear a helmet, gloves and eye protection - boards are heavy, ledgers have steel spikes on them, and invariably there is muck and crap on boards that ends up in your face....

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The point is, if you do a platform every 4 pegs / 2M you can put all the metalwork up for the next stage and then put the planks in place, just by standing on the stage below.  If you insist on doing it every 2.5 metres, you are going to have to stand on something to put the metalwork in for the next lift, and then stand on something to slot the boards in there.

Thank you, that makes complete sense and I hadn't thought about fixing the transoms and ledgers in place from below, I was only thinking about raising boards. Knowledge and experience prevails!!!! lol

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nothing structural about the boards on Kwikstage - they just slot between transoms. Integrity comes from the transoms, ledgers and the cross braces every 4 bays.

When you are putting this stuff up, always wear a helmet, gloves and eye protection - boards are heavy, ledgers have steel spikes on them, and invariably there is muck and crap on boards that ends up in your face....

Very good points and I will make sure that happens. I wouldn't want anyone up high and getting something hurting them or getting in their eyes especially when not on safe ground!

The worst thing I found about Kwikstage is standing on a working platform with no handrails plugging in the next stanchion.  If in doubt wear a harness and fall arrester while doing that.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The worst thing I found about Kwikstage is standing on a working platform with no handrails plugging in the next stanchion.  If in doubt wear a harness and fall arrester while doing that.

Just thinking about that sends shivers!!!! lol

Just out of interest, what's the height of the lowest transom fixing from the bottom of a standard?