Car turning area and car swept path analysis

Moonshine

i am looking at my site, and it looks like its getting tight to turn in the curtilage of the plot on a driveway

What i want to do, is work out the swept path analysis of a car turning to work out other turning arrangements that the standard template of a turning area, such as below;

694f9ae1589502c6b94e5d13b752af83.gif.ffb720233d9663a4d6e81e92941a94b6.gif

Can anyone give any pointers how to work out the turning radius, as i am struggling with the maths

It depends if you are just trying to saisfy Planning or find out if a particular vehicle will be able to turn in the available space? If its Planning then you use the generic radiii as shown. If its say a van then there will be manufacturers data about turning circle. Decide if you are between curbs or walls I.e. have you got room for overhang for the bumpers. Take half the turning circle and use that as the outer radius for the swept path. For the inner between curbs subtract the width of the van from the outer and use that as an approx inner radius. Not sure how to do inner path for between walls since there is not usually data for that but err on the side of caution! Inner path is usually not the issue. Also you can usually get a tighter turn in reverse but best to only consider the forwards one.

Hope that helps I am no expert! And I think some of the drawing packages will do this automatically I.e. your Architect may be able to draw this up really easily, ours did for our campervan.