Insulation Material Price Comparison Value/Money

Patrick

I always wanted a complete Price list of different Insulation Materials based on SQM prices.

I did not find anything other than general remarks like

"Glasswool is cheapest"

"Kingspan(or similar) is (more) expensive than EPS insulation , but has/gives greater U value (even though this levels itself out after a few years apparently)

So I tried to start on a table, but it is difficult to compare it all .

It does not start with installation costs comparison - like which material is easiest to install (sqm/hour) .

If anybody has anything similar to add, please send it to me.

Prices are always a bit difficult (how long is a string>), but i'm still trying to figure it out

.INSULATION MATERIAL VALUE:MONEY.pdf

• Like 1

Pity decrement delay isn't included in the comparison, as it can have a very significant impact on overall performance.  Making a decision based on just U value vs thickness vs price probably won't give an optimal answer for some forms of construction.

8 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Interesting exercise - I think it would be more useful if you had a big table which shows the thickness and cost of products for a certain uvalue?

i.e. to achieve 0.16 you would need 140mm of product A @ a cost of x or 380mm of product  B at a cost of y

imo that would be the best use of the information, I have just done something similar with recticel, celotex, kingspan and quinntherm, all have different costs but some need a thicker product to achieve the same heat loss 

Thanks for the tip, thats exactly what I wanted . Quite a few of you probably done something similar and/or better so would like to use your data .

I have just done something similar

Would you share that?

6 hours ago, Patrick said:

Prices are always a bit difficult (how long is a string>), but i'm still trying to figure it out

What you need is to compare costs for the same thermal resistance (R-unit) of a standard area of material. I.E. Cos.t of 1 R-unit per m2  (£/R.m2) e.g. 100mm RWA45 can be obtained for about £13 ex vat (2.88m2 ), has a thermal conductivity of 0.035 and thus for 100mm R=2.86. Therefore it has a cost of £13/2.86*2.88 or £1.58 per R unit per m2    ?

There are some limits to how reliably you can find the optimum on this, and parts of your model will need to be approximated or adjustable on the fly.

Two are

1 You need to model variable or specific-to-you prices. For any item or type of insulation prices may be plus or minus at least 30%, and the   Price you get may be at different points. No one can give you that info.

2 Even within one material the physical form may affect the price and the install cost, independent of the R value. Eg the size or thickness with most production. Analogous to 18mm osb always being the best value perm.

So some aspects need to be changeable.

F

Edited by Ferdinand