Smoke detectors with WiFi repeaters in?

It's a good idea, but I am fairly certain no such thing exists.

Proper WiFi access points need to be wired back to the main router using ethernet cables. If they are just wireless they slow down the network.

Indeed your ceilings do end up with a lot of bits and pieces there but they don't seem too intrusive. 

I tried as much as possible to put things where they cannot be seen, for example we have chimney breasts where I put switches on the side you couldn't see when you come in the door. I put wifi access points in wardrobes in some rooms and behind TVs, but we ended up with a few on the ceiling too. If  you really don't want to look at them though you can probably hide them all like this. Bedroom ones will work from inside wardrobes, or even above the ceiling plasterboard. They are thin enough to put behind TVs mounted on the wall also.

• Thanks 1

For ceiling APs, such as the Unifi ones, you can paint them (with not metallic paint). The cover comes off easily. 

You can even buy sticker skins for them. Ubiquiti's getting in on the game too. The new Unfi Nano has skins available made by Ubiquiti. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have a loft space then fit them up there. Cupboards too, even under floors as long as you leave access to them. Wire to a central hub with Cat5 and you’re laughing. Even better if they are PoE (power over Ethernet) as you don’t even need to find a socket for them.