For people who like looking at floor plans

Please have a look at these. I've gone back and fourth and am suffering from brain fog. Please have a look at the layout and flow, any comments welcome. I'm thinking the car port is too tight for starters. Please ignore bedroom 2 and 4 as I'm not using that layout. I'm worried that the extended right 'wing' will look a bit odd. Thanks

GF.pdf

FF.pdf

Downstairs cloaks is way too small. Don't under estimate how much coat and shoe space you need.  EDIT for "cloaks" do your really mean "WC"?

Upstairs I would shrink the master slightly so that Bed 3's wall to the right of the door in, does not have to step over.

I assume the en-suite between bed 3 and 4 is a Jack & Jill?

I would put all the coat and shoe storage under the stairs.

I assume the front (bottom as shown on plans) of the house faces (roughly) south?

I would make the door to the left hand living room double as well (this is what we have done)  When entertaining, both sets of double doors really opens it up as a big space.

Otherwise not much to dislike.

Without a calculated internal floor space I find it difficult as assess how effective a house design is. I am guessing about 2300 sq ft in your case?

The working area of the kitchen is 5.4m x 5.0m which implies the cooks will quickly get to 10,000 steps daily on their fitbit.

The office is ginormous for a house and I suspect half of it will become a dumping ground for things like the treadmill that has fallen into disuse.

If the location shown for the garage is to scale then I doubt you have a viable turning circle outside. Also have a look at my recent thread discussing garage door widths, the community decided that 2.5m is a reasonable target width.

I would be tempted to reverse the stairs and have a 90 degree turn with the bottom step starting 300mm to the left of the dining area door because the door swing and fancy bottom stairs step arrangement looks congested at the turn for the toilet/study. However if the topology works then what you have is a grand entrance hall statement. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Downstairs cloaks is way too small. Don't under estimate how much coat and shoe space you need.  EDIT for "cloaks" do your really mean "WC"?

Upstairs I would shrink the master slightly so that Bed 3's wall to the right of the door in, does not have to step over.

I assume the en-suite between bed 3 and 4 is a Jack & Jill?

I would put all the coat and shoe storage under the stairs.

I assume the front (bottom as shown on plans) of the house faces (roughly) south?

I would make the door to the left hand living room double as well (this is what we have done)  When entertaining, both sets of double doors really opens it up as a big space.

Otherwise not much to dislike.

Thanks for input

Yes cloaks is WC

No the right side faces south but the bottom has the views 

It is always a good idea to actually place furniture onto your plant to see if it works.

1. Do away with the central pillar to the carport, it will be much easier to put the car under it.

2. The study and living room have a lot of windows and very little wall space. Make sure you have places to put all the furniture that you want. The study is quite large for a study, maybe put another cupboard there allowing it to double up as a bedroom if necessary in the future.

3. The confluence of doors at the WC, study is awkward and as mentioned the WC is small. As mentioned you could reverse the stairs, you can then utilise the space under the last couple of steps to make the entrance to the WC wider. The WC can be wider by steeling space off the utility room. The cupboard can be part under the stairs.

4. Do you need a breakfast area and a dining area right next to each other in the kitchen, it would look quite odd if there were two tables there. Turn the island around to face the dining area and living area, consider doing away with that bay to the side. You can probably lose that run of cupboards to the left hand side and make the island two cabinets wide.

5. Again as mentioned mirror the living room and kitchen doors.

6. Upstairs I would probably bring the coombed ceilings in to the 1.5m height. Particularly where you have corners meeting, bringing it down to 1m will look like you have a loft conversion. You won't lose too much floorspace by doing this and you do have the space. You cannot put the back of a bed against a wall only 1m high. (TBF you can but it won't feel nice to be in)

7. I would plan out the bathrooms with the ceiling height in mind. You cannot put showers in areas below 2m high. Baths can go in lower areas and the backs of toilets are a good use for lower space. You probably have plenty of room but it could get quite awkward. For example the master en suite prob wants the door to swing the other way as at the moment the corner behind the door would be quite difficult to use. 

8. Bedroom 4 is large yet I do not see anywhere that a double bed would comfortably fit. The LH end is too narrow, the bed would be quite hemmed in. The area behind the bed 2 wardrobe blocks the entrance. I would move the bed 2 en suite over to have around 3m across the back wall of bedroom 4. Bed 3 will still be wide enough. Put a wardrobe in bedroom 4 either where the roof corner is or the little dormer window.

9. Again a wardrobe in bed 3, probably where the roof corner is.

I think it looks like it will be a nice design from outside, and the general layout looks good, but I think it is better to have slightly less floor space and not have awkwardly low ceilings upstairs.

Edited by AliG