Ladders

Carrerahill

I am looking for some ladder thoughts and advice.

I have a set of super sturdy, read super heavy, multi-purpose ladder's which are still tied off to the new garage roof (as a reminder to fit the rest of the ridge tiles!) and then I have a borrowed set of 3 piece combo ladders (A frame with extension or lean against etc.) they are really good, tall enough to reach the top of the garage gable end comfortably which is about 4.6 meters and feel secure yet also small enough I can take them into the house and change a lamp or something without being ridiculous and could be stored in a cupboard, what also is handy is that they also fit in my Volvo lying down with the rear seats down without having to sit over the front seats - I like that - I often help out friends and family so being able to take ladders with me is useful. 

But they are not my own set and I really need to clean them up (still more or less immaculate as I keep all tools) and return them. I was going to just go and get a pair more or less identical but my requirements would call for something a bit taller that could let me get up to gutter level on the house which is 7m where the ground level is lowest. 

With this sort of size I end up with ladders that are not really "household" sized, they become too big for the car and a bit bulky for the cupboard (although realistically they will live in the garage) so what have you guys got, what do you find is a good middle of the road one size fits all ladder?

I don't really want to have to have 3 sets - the big fold up set are great but really only for use close to the house or in the garage or where I need a platform as they are too heavy to lug about and actually a pain in the neck to deploy as you need to lay them down or prop them up and unfold bits and then you smack a wall and end up needing to paint again... 

Who would have thought a ladder purchase could be so difficult.

Has anyone used these guys - they seem reasonable, but is there a reason for that?!

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/index.html

Sorry but I have 4 sets of ladders. One size does not fit all.

The really handy combination ladders used mostly for internal work.

2 different sized 2 section ladders, one very light one not so.

And a big heavy 3 section set when I need to get up high. Though most of the time the third extension on this set is removed and set up as a roof ladder.

Personally the tallest set of ladders I have were left at a house purchase because the previous people did not have the capability to take them away. If they move it will be to be weighed in.

I get get nervous about ladders, and always go branded or known rebranded. I have a three section rebranded Youngman which was sold by Wickes as their Professional Range. I think it is 2.50m as it is just long enough to crack the windscreen of a Vauxhall Corsa if you misalign it with the thick part of the rear door. I know this through careful measurement *. It has been fine and I would recommend. They do a longer version for just over 7m which would fit in the longer car Which for some reason I have now. It is 3m folded and about £220. 

Eg https://www.laddersukdirect.co.uk/trade-extension-ladders/youngman-t200-triple-extension-ladders-195.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1rOS3bjh4AIVhoXVCh2d6wBgEAQYASABEgL48_D_BwE

I have a telescopic ladder from Aldi, which is surprisingly good, and a pro scaffold tower which also fits in the estate car.

It sounds as if you need your correct ladder, then roofbars to carry it.

The other item I have is a work platform ... again Youngman via Aldi, Which is good, and can be a platform to 1.5m or a set of ladders that fit together as a pair.

All are recommended by me.

Ferdinand

(*) /liar

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

[...]

I don't really want to have to have 3 sets -

[...]

Come back to us when you use less than three sets.....

Ours are:

• A step-up
  • A short-arse set
  • A single lift scaffolding ladder : short and long set (2)
  • An every-day set to mess about with
  • A 5 meter Zarges set. Perfection. 
  • Some ladders left behind by the steel erectors

Way to many ladders to list.......... maybe I will take a photo tomorrow just for fun....... it’s a ridiculous situation and I still find myself wondering if I need another one....... I found myself on a milk crate the other day and always standing on my saw horse..... think I need a 3 step one for the final part in the collection !   

Oh that reminds me I have a 5 step step ladder and that very handy little 2 step one as well so that now makes 6 or is that 7?

I burned the rotten old wooden one when the rungs started to snap.........

42 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Oh that reminds me I have a 5 step step ladder and that very handy little 2 step one as well so that now makes 6 or is that 7?

I burned the rotten old wooden one when the rungs started to snap.........

I am not counting step ladders, beyond that in the 1,2,3,lots... maths system, it is “lots”.

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

found myself on a milk crate the other day

My plasterer uses an aqua crate as it is perfect to give a decent base and easy to move. I keep trying to spot one somewhere to “obtain”....

Mine is a crate for Guinness bottles. Found it washed up on one of my walks along the shore, took it back to bin it but it’s found A second life with all the other ladders! 

I've a Zarges Skymaster 3x6 (4m) combo, a 2x4m roof ladder, a couple of sets of stepladders, and a sliding/folding jobbie from Lidl, like a Little Giant.  Whilst the Zarges is absolutely the stiffest and nicest, the Lidl unit is the handiest by far- it does the lot!

On 01/03/2019 at 17:03, Declan52 said:

I have a multi purpose ladder that would tick a lot of boxes.  Folds down small enough to fit in the car boot and can get me on to my roof of I need to. My house is a bungalow which helps. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/4-section-aluminium-professional-adjustable-ladder-3-6m/99993

That is more or less what I have just now. Need more height you see.

On 01/03/2019 at 17:17, ProDave said:

Sorry but I have 4 sets of ladders. One size does not fit all.

The really handy combination ladders used mostly for internal work.

2 different sized 2 section ladders, one very light one not so.

And a big heavy 3 section set when I need to get up high. Though most of the time the third extension on this set is removed and set up as a roof ladder.

Well that is what I realise, I have binned more sets of ladders than I care to remember as they have aged and got damaged and been condemned! So I seem to be in this situation where I need more to replace them all. 

I think I am going to buy a big set of 2 section ladders and worry about smaller ones in the future. 

57 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have 2 section ones that are 3.7m closed and 6.24m extended. Light enough for me to handle and fully extended they just skirt the border of new underwear required.

This build seems to have cured my lifelong fear of ladders, no idea why.  I used to literally freeze up at about eaves level on a 2 storey house, with a white knuckle death grip on the ladder and legs shaking like mad. 

13 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

This build seems to have cured my lifelong fear of ladders, no idea why.  I used to literally freeze up at about eaves level on a 2 storey house, with a white knuckle death grip on the ladder and legs shaking like mad. 

Me too, sort of. 

I still have a fear of the ladder slipping at the bottom, so always pile a few breeze blocks at the base. Also have an irrational fear of the ladder snapping where the two bits meet.

So first few times up and down I'm uber cautious and then get a bit more relaxed - which is no doubt when the risk of accident increases :)

Worst ladder ever was a roofer's one when I was visiting prospective trades on site - they seemed twice as high and really narrow and springy.

I don't much like ladders, either. I use my scaffold tower for anything that can't be done in a minute or two on step ladders with something to hold on to. I'm pretty comfortable on the tower up to 6 metres working height (4 metres deck height, 5 metres hand-rail height) but the last bit up to 7 metres working height I need to reach the peaks of my gables makes me nervous though I've got used to it a bit. I know it's not going to fall over but the extra bit of wobble it has at that height bothers me disproportionately.

It takes a while to put the tower up and take it down, though I've got reasonably slick at doing that now, but it's probably worth it just in time for any even slightly complicated job as there's more space to put tools down so less climbing up and down needed.

The trouble with scaffold / towers, is someone has to put them up and take them down, It's a lot of time, effort and hard work to get a tower up to the very top of our gable end.  Don't under estimate the sheer hard work of getting all the metalwork and planks up there, done by lifting it up in stages. 

Sometimes it just might be safer to work off a ladder if a short job rather than put the scaffold up?

I have a really old set of BT wooden ladders that I dare not throw out as they are are a thing to behold. Rope extending and an auto pawl system but I never use them, prefer my 3 section youngmans

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The trouble with scaffold / towers, is someone has to put them up and take them down, It's a lot of time, effort and hard work to get a tower up to the very top of our gable end.  Don't under estimate the sheer hard work of getting all the metalwork and planks up there, done by lifting it up in stages.

Indeed, it can be a pain. The last straw for my major meltdown last August/September, just after I'd joined this forum, was the struggle to put up the scaffold tower when something wasn't fitting properly for some reason whilst wearing a midge net (thousands of the little buggers around that day [¹]) and having my bifocal safety glasses (which I really need for close work) keep steaming up.

On the other hand, I can usually put it up or take it down in less than 20 minutes, including getting the bits in and out of the container. Probably a bit longer if somebody's helping ? It's quick enough that I only usually leave it up overnight if I'm sure I'll be wanting it first thing the next day.

[¹] One of only about 3 or 4 days they were a problem last year.

Just don't fall off! That's my only advice lol!

I did just before Christmas, lost 20 minutes of my memory that I'll never get back,

6 hours in A&E and more scans than the NHS can afford.

To cap it all a months no driving advisory from the doctor. 

On 04/03/2019 at 17:37, Ed Davies said:

whilst wearing a midge net (thousands of the little buggers around that day [¹])

[¹] One of only about 3 or 4 days they were a problem last year.

the other 361 or 2 the gales blew them away ?