Clear paint for weather proofing OSB sheet.

epsilonGreedy

Can someone recommend a clear runny sealant paint for OSB?

I am in the process of making a static caravan skirt to create some under floor storage space and also help with insulation. Over December & January it was costing £200 per month to keep the static caravan warm with bottled lpg C/H and everyone I spoke to said, fabricate a skirt to box in the underfloor void.

The skirt is made from 11mm osb sheet screwed to a 2" square wood frame. The more I work with OSB sheet I realize it is just one step up from compressed Weetabix in terms of longevity if moisture gets at the edges. In order to help the skirt survive 18 months of British weather I sandwiched a roll of dpc between the new frame and the caravan underbelly and this protrudes 15mm beyond the top of each OSB sheet to create a lip which throws off water running running down the walls of the caravan.

So back to that paint, I am just looking for a clear paint that will help extend the life expectancy of the skirt particularly through next winter.

This is what I am considering: https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-water-repellent-seal-clear-5ltr/57474

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

It will obviously help with wind getting under the static, but i doubt it will make the area underneath much warmer. What about hay bales around the edge instead ?

I share your doubts however long term static caravan dwellers all advise we will notice a difference, perhaps it will keep us safe from frozen pipes if the beast from the east ever returns.

Our gas consumption is falling in this improving weather (probably £140 in Feb) so too many variables at play to determine if the skirt reduces fuel bills.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

What type of OSB is it? I have some offcuts of OSB3 that have been lying around in the garden for eight or nine years and have only just started to break up.

Just been out to read the manufacturing text on the board, of the bits I can comprehend it says...

SterlingOSB

Norboard 03

Structural 2+

11mm 3mm Gap

i second the resilience of the OSB  to withstand the outdoors - especially for a temporary solution.

But I can't say exactly what type of OSB it was  - some was from some SIP panel leftovers and other bits of board.

I'm surprised yours seems to be falling apart so quick

27 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Just been out to read the manufacturing text on the board, of the bits I can comprehend it says...

SterlingOSB

Norboard 03

Structural 2+

11mm 3mm Gap

I can't tell from that if it is OSB3 or OSB2, the 03 might mean OSB3 or 2+ mean OSB2. Mine is Sterling Board OSB3 15mm thick although all markings have long disappeared.

7 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I can't tell from that if it is OSB3 or OSB2, the 03 might mean OSB3 or 2+ mean OSB2. Mine is Sterling Board OSB3 15mm thick although all markings have long disappeared.

Ok thanks for investigating, I will go back to the supplier.

Think I will leave an offcut out in the weather to see if it copes as well as yours.

On 01/03/2019 at 16:50, PeterStarck said:

What type of OSB is it? I have some offcuts of OSB3 that have been lying around in the garden for eight or nine years and have only just started to break up.

peter. I don't believe you. You pretty much flogged off all your old house for re-cycling, and you left bits of OSB just lying around !!!! That can't be you.

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

That can't be you.

'Fraid so. I was using it for standing the concrete mixer on. I then used some old ply, but that's had it now. Found a newer bit which has a bit of life left in it, so hopefully it will see out the concrete mixer until I sell it. I got rid of the last four concrete lintels the other day on Freegle. I put them on last year but no one was interested, two people wanted them this time.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve made some garden props for the kids from OSB2. It could do with at least the edges being to treated to make it last the summer.

About the only thing I have lying around is primer and gloss paint is it worth the effort of bothering with this? Otherwise gaffa tape is probably easier (when I buy some).

I have had the windows of my sun room boarded up with plain untreated OSB3 for 5 years now.  It has not fallen apart yet.  It will be scrap when we eventually can afford the windows but it is lasting surprisingly well.