Window support post for 20 degree bay

SarahW

Hi

i have two 6 window bays at the front of my house.

the structural engineer has specified that they require bay window support posts with base and head plates.

I am struggling to find low uvalue windows (Ideally looking for below 1.3 uw)that are able  to provide this. Currently looking at composite windows wood and aluminum, as aluminium didn't seem to be able to give a low u value. Not sure if this is down to manufacture or the installers I have spoken to.

The windows have a 20 degree angle between them. Rationel only seem to provide 30 degree posts and ideal combi have just said their windows aren't structural with no further information.

I was looking at Rationel or idealcombi, have also looked at smart, reynaers internorm and others I can't remember. The house is in Bournemouth dorset.

Obviously don’t want frames to big or will get massive fillers between windows.

has anyone had a similar issue and found a solution?

or do I need to look at uvpc and if so any recommendations 

8190456D-C0BB-43E8-8D91-D54F4B27C64D.jpeg

This is pretty much the same as the windows in my place. We have two bays one on top of the other at the front.

The upper window is holding up the roof and the lower one is supporting the floor and wall above it and the window....so there's a fair bit of weight in it. So in between each window frame there's a small aluminium acrow prop which passes through the window seal and sits of the brick work. It looks pretty sturdy. They are upvc windows made by Rehau, probably not what you wanted, but they come in a variety of colours, triple glazing etc. I cant see how the angle of each one makes it difficult to shop for, usually the factory just cuts the necessary angle and glues the bits together.

Ill try to add a pic of them later on.

My previous windows were not load bearing, and in so it had caused the bay window wall upstairs to pull away from the house slightly and crack either side. The window company said it was a long way from the worst they had seen.

• Like 1

From looking at the picture of your bay window I would assume that it is a cavity wall. Mine was the same, even though you're looking at the end of the bricks, the builders have most likley cut the bricks in half so that they can make a small cavity. 

Here's pics of mine, end of bricks showing outside. Side of bricks inside and cavity insulation within. Its not much of a cavity at 50mm. 

IMG_20180415_154324491_HDR.jpg

IMG_2408.JPG

Thanks everyone for replies.

I am hoping I am going to get sorted, I got a call back from a fitter in Poole today, https://www.timbercompositewindows.co.uk/. Really helpful and said bay poles would just have to be non standard. The first person who listened to what I want to achieve and given me options.

He’s going to come over with samples and talk through the pros and cons.

Big sigh of relief.

I might also look at the rehau windows depending on how much it’s all going to cost

Thanks again everyone.

• 3 months later...

Just in way of an update for anyone searching forum. 

Have finally ordered my windows, I went with Norrsken after many false starts with other companies, they have been brilliant and have managed to chamfer the frames for the bay to reduce the outside profile. Decided to dispense with bay poles as the original windows were crittal with wooden posts, if it was good enough then...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So windows went in a while back. Will try and take better pictures now scaffolding is gone.

I really like the windows, but think Norrsken installation and survey team let them down in comparison to the rest of the company. Bay windows came the wrong size so the heading all had to come out, once they were fitted realised they was 2 inches spare either side. A lot of extra work for my builder to rebuild the wall above in line with the new windows. And I lost 4 inches of window.

in addition out of the 5 windows left in the house they managed to move the lintels on 2 and the bay wall on another, apparently down to having lime mortar rather than cement. Seriously unimpressed with the window removal, thankfully I am rerendering anyway.

but 6 months on I am happy with the windows 

B0ADC6A9-96BB-4AF3-9707-F115F4CA7132.jpeg

Edited by SarahW
Wrong picture
  • Like 1