Screening neighbours containers

Gary G

Hi all, any ideas for screening these containers? Don't want to plant anything too wide and take up garden space and it needs to be tall enough to obscure them when looking out from upstairs really also. Probably somewhere in the region of 10ft? Thought about a high section of trellis fixed to the fence but a bit concerned about the wind catching it.

Also, whilst on the subject of gardening! Seeding or turfing this lot? Never done either tbh.

Any bright ideas? thanks!

mqFFo+8TQ6KlB8C6P5COpQ.jpg

Try these.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=636

My comments are do no make it totally flat or it will scream ‘barrier’; put some texture in the height and depth and focal points somewhere else. Also the whole could die in a single catastrophe if you make it the same throughout. . Bamboo is good, so are fruit trees, or something deciduous in front of an evergreen.

If you are having a potting or storage shed, that will be tall enough to hide a chunk of If, and can then be planted around.

Of course, they might move their containers along, or get another two or three ?.

You could put a bank along there or mounds and grow things on different types of soil or to make them taller, or if you have lots of soil to lose rather than be muckawayed.

Also: https://www.countryliving.com/gardening/garden-ideas/g3367/privacy-landscaping/

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

The blue one really stands out, as does the lettering. Do you think your neighbour would let you paint it to match the other one?

I think a pergola could look good, but I don't know how the garden relates to the house or what you plan to do in it.

I asked the guy who cuts my grass and they recommended turf as the soil has a lot of clay.

They want to put down a couple of inches of sandy top soil before laying the turf so the cost will be just under £20 a square metre. Seed would be cheaper, but they didn't think it would do well.

In your case the earth looks quite sandy, if you can rake out all the small stones then seeding would work. It is just more manual prep.

As to the containers, are they temporary whilst your neighbour builds something? If not they could be deemed to need planning permission. If they are temporary wold you not be as well putting up with them until they go and designing the garden how you would want it in the long term.

I think trellis would look best if you want an instant screen. I couldn't find any 3m bamboo screening, you could attach bamboo to the fence half way up but its a nice looking fence and that might look odd.

Longer term something like western red cedar will grow reasonably quickly and eventually screen this, but you retaking a good few years unless you pay through the nose for mature plants. 

I thought so, quite a bit is coming through from the old lawn already. I think it might be as much the enormous number of stones and they just want an easier way of levelling it off. The sandy soil, root zone I think it is called, may also help drainage a bit.

I have dealt with them for a while and they don't have any incentive to give me a more expensive solution. Indeed they cut the quote by over 20% when they did the final measure, so I went with their advice.

This site looks a lot looser and and less stone filled than my site so seed should be an easier job.

Worm activity will mix the layers over time.  The top will drain onto the exiting soil - where the roots are anyway.  Turf is instant and will be tough enough for most uses - seeded does take time to stitch and tiller up so its a bit slower to provide a tough cover.