Soil Vent Pipe Tata Roof.

JamesP

Before you cut anything, is there not a way around this? 

My BCO has accepted a horizontal section of vent  so that it can come out the gable...

The fact is, as soon as you penetrate it you've compromised the roof and no "seal" will ever be as good.

Edited by Carrerahill

Or, better still, can you remove the thermal bridge that a vent pipe running up from inside the house to the outside will create?

If you can fit an AAV at the top of the internal stack then vent the foul drain externally you can remove the thermal bridge and also remove the need to cut a hole in the house.

• Thanks 1

@JSHarris  @Carrerahill

Thanks for your replies. I did look at this thread you had contributed to. 

Yes I do want to avoid cutting holes in the roof. Gable end vent could work though its very close to Velux windows. 

Or could put AAV at the top of stack in roof space above the 1st floor bathroom and venting at the end of the foul drain run near the Vortex treatment plant.

Do you T off the soil pipe  just before it gets to the treatment plant?

I will contact the BCO.

Our BCO was happy with the vent just being the treatment plant itself, as the air blower means that it's well ventilated and as there are no traps between the soil stack and the treatment plant the whole foul drain run will be adequately ventilated.  I just sent him an email with a description of what I wanted to do, plus a sectional drawing showing where the AAV would be and he was happy to approve it.  Made life a lot easier not having to fit a dedicated vent pipe.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Our BCO was happy with the vent just being the treatment plant itself, as the air blower means that it's well ventilated and as there are no traps between the soil stack and the treatment plant the whole foul drain run will be adequately ventilated.  I just sent him an email with a description of what I wanted to do, plus a sectional drawing showing where the AAV would be and he was happy to approve it.  Made life a lot easier not having to fit a dedicated vent pipe.

My BCO was exactly the same.

Put your tin snips away :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JSHarris  @Carrerahill @Barney12

Reply from the BCO below.  Shall I mention having an external vent near the treatment plant?

"Normally the head of the run will still require venting to external air as is shown in the picture of the drain run as this is the only vent on the property an AAV is not acceptable unless there is any guidance from the treatment plant supplier confirming different.

This is probably not want you wanted to hear."

11 hours ago, JamesP said:

@JSHarris  @Carrerahill @Barney12

Reply from the BCO below.  Shall I mention having an external vent near the treatment plant?

"Normally the head of the run will still require venting to external air as is shown in the picture of the drain run as this is the only vent on the property an AAV is not acceptable unless there is any guidance from the treatment plant supplier confirming different.

This is probably not want you wanted to hear."

Fact is somewhere you need a vent, a vent and an AAV obviously both do quite different things in their own right, albeit a vent will do both - so make the BCO happy there is a vent somewhere and you should be fine. I think if you suggest to the BCO that you want to maintain the integrity of your roof, he will understand that and also respect that if anything, you are trying to make this building better which in his eyes should be a good thing. 

I suspect you would have more luck asking him if you can have a horizontal vent section (with a run on it obviously) exiting from the side of your house thus saving your roof or as @JSHarris says draw his attention to the treatment plant ventilation setup. 

Venting depends on many factors but what you are trying to vent is any possible hydrogen sulphides, ammonia, methane, carbon monoxide etc. build up from sections of pipe, if a gas can build up and get trapped then you have an issue. It seems they will often allow AAV only on short runs of soil that go directly to a manhole cover or vented stack, so say a toilet on the ground floor, it can be, from top down, AAV hidden in wall or above ceiling height, toilet connection, slow bend 90 outflow to manhole this section is un-vented but I think it is so short there is no risk? 

• Thanks 1