site insurance won't extend again - what to do?

divorcingjack

Hi all, 

So our site insurance runs out on the 18 March and the insurers have declined to extend it again. We've had quite a few delays and stuff so we have had to extend a number of times :( The house is watertight, weathertight, secure although the scaffold is still up. Kitchen fitting this week, painting at the weekend, only major work remaining is bathroom tiling and fitting and a bit of plumbing. 

What can we do? No chance of getting a completion certificate by the 18th. We could POSSIBLY remove the scaffolding - the roofers need it to do a final trim on an external canopy. 

Got a request in with Quoterack now, GIS called me but said they can only provide their renovation cover once the building is signed off, so that's no good to us. They've passed me on to someone else, but they don't sound 100% on what we need. Currently with ProAktive, via Aviva, via broker.  

Edited by divorcingjack
change insurers details

2 hours ago, divorcingjack said:

Hi all, 

So our site insurance runs out on the 18 March and the insurers have declined to extend it again. We've had quite a few delays and stuff so we have had to extend a number of times :( The house is watertight, weathertight, secure although the scaffold is still up. Kitchen fitting this week, painting at the weekend, only major work remaining is bathroom tiling and fitting and a bit of plumbing. 

What can we do? No chance of getting a completion certificate by the 18th. We could POSSIBLY remove the scaffolding - the roofers need it to do a final trim on an external canopy. 

Not a help this as it's another question but what reason are they not wanting to extend it? I am asking out of interest more than anything else and also in case we run into something like this so we can better know how to avoid. Sorry for a question to your question!

2 hours ago, divorcingjack said:

Hi all, 

2 years ago I was in a similar situation to the one you've described. The high risk work had been completed on our house inc plumbing & electrics but I needed to finish the kitchen and painting & decorating. Even though I didn't have a Building Regs Completion Certificate I managed to get normal building insurance through a broker which was ideal for my situation but the downside is that the policy excludes damage caused by construction works. Let me know if you want me to give you the broker's details.

I’ve been in your position and I got mine via Quoterack. The scaffolding was down and the working at height risk was over by then. I would try to complete any working at height before the insurance runs out. 

My insurance ended up being with Halifax in the end but it was not the sort of insurance I could arrange with them direct as I tried a few. It wasn’t much more expensive than a standard policy.