Hello everyone. 4 years in and two architects later...exasperation

Stu-UK

You have my sympathy about architects.

We did a lot of shopping around for architects, twice!  First to find one whose work we liked, and interrogated those (and visibly made them squirm about the true cost of constructing the houses).  That was an education.  We learned that architects actually almost never get involved with building what they design, or not in regard to managing any budget, so have no clue of the true construction cost implications of their fancy ideas, cantilevers, non standard windows, deep roof overhangs and much else.   They also build for themselves and most are poor listeners, even when you say you have a budget of £xK.   We decided not to use an architect at that point.

Instead we then went down the route of looking at package builders, including Potton, especially at their existing designs and those that can be customised, tweaked, etc where they own the copyright.    In the end we abandoned Potton, as well.  Partly because we didn't in the end find a house we really liked, partly because we worked out their understanding of turnkey and ours did not align - they need to check a dictionary!!!  When they talked numbers, lots of crucial elements were missing - and this was not just for the delivery of a timber frame pricing!

Then we went back to an architect, but this time with a much better idea of what we wanted.  Essentially, I designed the house we wanted on a free software package - SketchUp - and then got an architect to turn it into something suitable for planning submission.   

We did learn a lot in the meanwhile, but that whole learning process, toing and froing and a refused submission in the middle took a long time.   The house we have permission to build is radically different from where we started.  There are some unfortunate compromises, the house we have planning for will cost more to build that the initial concept, but actually it's a much nicer design, but we are not there yet, just living in a quagmire.  

I am under the impression that timber frame constructors and package companies like Potton, etc are actually surprisingly busy at the moment with full order books - which while still inexcusable is part of why responses are slow.   We have been amazed how much chasing we have had to do to get follow up from the companies we felt we really did want or need to speak to at every turn, and it's even worse right now.  Builders' merchants, contractors, etc are all busy.  We are so glad we started to speak to and line up preferred contractors last year even though we did not start signing contracts until full PP was in place.

(We had to put in new planning apps in first week of January for a few tweaks and to add our garage, etc, and our number was 32.  Applications are given a consecutive number each year (or in our area!) and our October 2018 app was only 75 applications higher than one registered last week at the end of our road and it's mid March.)

I cannot speak to costs as our budget and much else is at great variance from yours, including where we live and the costs of contractors in my neck of the woods. 

Good luck.

DHDreamer

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I thought it time I updated this forum as you were all very helpful coming forward with advice. 

I bit the bullet and used Potton Homes (Kingspan) to take the project forward. We are nearly at watertight stage but not without significant amounts of trouble and alteration. As soon as Potton have signed off from their participation in the project I will post a more detailed review. Unless things change significantly it wont be a dazzling review and should be of help to others venturing into the world of self build for the first time!

Edited by Stu-UK
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...