Jump to content

SunAmp : Snog, Marry, Avoid?


ToughButterCup
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The higher volume is assumed at the blended temp. 

image.png.ec315d31c7ea140bb1aec5edb3ca2c53.png

 

2 x Uniq12 = 568L@60C,  740L@40C. (unless I'm misreading).  Need to take 10% off these numbers if you only charge to 65C.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, LA3222 said:

just over £4thou for 2 x Uniq12s

 

Would you mind sharing who from?   That's cheaper than I am looking at.

 

(and yes, I'm also probably looking at 2x12s!  Reasons in my case include: I want two units for various reasons, and although they are very expensive the delta from the 9 to the 12 isn't that great; household includes teenage daughter who expects 30min+ showers, Japanese wife who expects a bath to be full to the brim with scalding hot water per Japanese practice; I want some headroom to allow opportunistic heating from PV without risk of running out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worth getting quotes for supply and fit!!

 

I bought mine direct a few years ago and have been looking for someone to fit them. Contacted at least 5 'approved installers' and have only heard back from 2. One quoted a decent quote for a day's work (also 2x UNiQ12 units) but thinks it may over-run a bit) but has now gone quiet. The other company quoted £3,000!!! Yes THREE THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING!!!!  I've done the bloody hard work by putting them into position in a very tight space, got the plumbing and wiring to where the units are so it's s simple case of just connecting and testing the whole lot. Sunamp are not interested of course. I'm assuming supply and fit aren't off the piss-take scale.

 

At this rate I'll be kidnapping @Nickfromwales for a couple of days...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

I've done the bloody hard work by putting them into position in a very tight space, got the plumbing and wiring to where the units are so it's s simple case of just connecting and testing the whole lot.

 

Reason for not DIYing the last bit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

 

The fabled "warranty".

 

 

I don't see anything in the warranty document (PDF linked at the top of this page https://www.sunamp.com/warranty/) that needs an approved installer.

 

It does have a lot of exclusions, and you would be on the hook for any cockup/failure to follow the instructions (where you could otherwise blame the installer - but you would be trying to claim from the installer in that case, not from Sunamp).

 

I'm tempted to have a go myself, though there's a couple of oddities in the instructions I was about to post about:

  • Seems to require copper for the connections.  Fair enough - but does a short stub of copper coming out of the case and then convert to Hep2O or similar count?
  • Requirement to have an expansion vessel (unless you are sure that there's no NRV at the meter, and seems in any case dodgy to rely on that as someone might power it up with the stopcock shut).  Again, seems to make sense, but there's no requirement for a pressure relief valve, so how do you know when the expansion vessel has lost air pressure?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@oranjeboom  I bought mine direct from Sunamp a couple of months ago and queried the installation/warranty issue. The response was:

 

"There will be a full Warranty as long as the unit is installed as per manufacturers instructions. A manual does come with the unit"

 

If it came to it, I would install my own (apart from the electrickery) and I am in no way shape or form a certified installer, but I like to think I have a modicum of common dog and I can read (those who know me may question both of those assertions). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Worth getting quotes for supply and fit!!

 

I bought mine direct a few years ago and have been looking for someone to fit them. Contacted at least 5 'approved installers' and have only heard back from 2. One quoted a decent quote for a day's work (also 2x UNiQ12 units) but thinks it may over-run a bit) but has now gone quiet. The other company quoted £3,000!!! Yes THREE THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING!!!!  I've done the bloody hard work by putting them into position in a very tight space, got the plumbing and wiring to where the units are so it's s simple case of just connecting and testing the whole lot. Sunamp are not interested of course. I'm assuming supply and fit aren't off the piss-take scale.

 

At this rate I'll be kidnapping @Nickfromwales for a couple of days...

£2995 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, arg said:

(and yes, I'm also probably looking at 2x12s!  Reasons in my case include: I want two units for various reasons, and although they are very expensive the delta from the 9 to the 12 isn't that great; household includes teenage daughter who expects 30min+ showers, Japanese wife who expects a bath to be full to the brim with scalding hot water per Japanese practice; I want some headroom to allow opportunistic heating from PV without risk of running out.

 

Take a look at Mixergy too which also supports load-shifting.  The heat-loss isn't as good obvisouly, it's UVC-sized and not good for multi-day load-shifting, but if you want plenty of hot water wihout spending £5K, the 500L version costs £1,500.

 

You have a bath requirement, and not just showers.  But if bathing is mostly showers, you can get 30% extra effective capacity (and more SAP points and reduced energy usage) by using WWHRS without the need to oversize UVC/Sunamp quite as much.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, arg said:

 

 

Would you mind sharing who from?   That's cheaper than I am looking at.

 

(and yes, I'm also probably looking at 2x12s!  Reasons in my case include: I want two units for various reasons, and although they are very expensive the delta from the 9 to the 12 isn't that great; household includes teenage daughter who expects 30min+ showers, Japanese wife who expects a bath to be full to the brim with scalding hot water per Japanese practice; I want some headroom to allow opportunistic heating from PV without risk of running out.

Midsummer Wholesale. My reasoning is the same as yours for two of them - makes sense to me.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Midsummer Wholesale. My reasoning is the same as yours for two of them - makes sense to me.


You’ve obviously managed to get a good discount, as the list price they quote online is £2641+VAT (or £2511 without the heating element).

 

I could almost certainly get by with 2x 9 units, but 12s give more headroom and don’t cost much more; a single 12 would be barely enough and while much cheaper complicates the plumbing in ny particular case.  And the shape of the sunamps vs my house means I have loads of odd voids where a Sunamp will fit but a talk tank won’t.

Edited by arg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, arg said:

a single 12 would be barely enough

I presume you mean barely enough volume, but there's also the limit on flow rate. If you have more than 2 showers in the house, it's advisable to have >1 Sunamp paralleled up I believe. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NSS said:

Okay, seriously concerned about Jeremy now. Twenty posts in a SunAmp thread in the last three days and still no sign of him. Something's not right ?

He is on a secret mission, goes on one every now and then...he be back in 6/7/8 months most likely 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Marco Van Bowden said:

 

Sod it, I'll bite.  Why?  Different units seem to offer different flow rates, from what I saw/understood.

 

It's more about how many you want to use concurrently than how many showers you have.  Also depends on i) how you like your showers ii) which sunamp unit you are looking at.  UniQ12 could probably just about do 3 concurrent showers at a good flow rate, as a 12l/min shower requires approx 9l/min hot water so 27l/min in total.  So if the capacity of a single UniqQ12 is enough for you, then it's not a bad option (other than price potentially).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dan F said:

 

It's more about how many you want to use concurrently than how many showers you have.  Also depends on i) how you like your showers ii) which sunamp unit you are looking at.  UniQ12 could probably just about do 3 concurrent showers at a good flow rate, as a 12l/min shower requires approx 9l/min hot water so 27l/min in total.  So if the capacity of a single UniqQ12 is enough for you, then it's not a bad option (other than price potentially).

 

 

I thought UK showers were between 6L and 10L, but hey.  Point taken.  Tar.

 

From my reading, there doesn't seem to be anything conclusive.  A lot of venting/frustration, and some very creative ideas, but I would like to have seen all this collective toil come to something.  Shame really.  Perhaps, snog? Allowing for early teething problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Marco Van Bowden said:

 

Sod it, I'll bite.  Why?  Different units seem to offer different flow rates, from what I saw/understood.


As per previous, the Sunamp will only recharge if it’s reached its 50/90% discharge level. Unlike a hot water tank that will call for heat when the programmer goes to hot water mode, a Sunamp could potentially be 52% full, which is still over its recharge point and won’t trigger the boiler. 
 

Next time you want 2 showers in quick succession, the Sunamp will empty rapidly. You can’t always guarantee to have a full Sunamp and there is no way to force it to regenerate when it is 75% full for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...