Is there such a thing as a top entry manifold?

Triassic

All my first floor UFH pipes are in the ceiling spaces of the plant room below. Does anyone produce a top entry manifold, or am I going to have to loop every single pipe through 180 degrees to have them enter from the bottom? Photos of how you did it would help.

Might this not present a problem when trying to bleed the air out of the pipes?  The air normally finds it's way (eventually) up to the highest point in the top manifold, and then out the bleed valve, but with the manifold below the UFH pipes I suspect it might be a bit challenging to get all the air out.  @Nickfromwales would be able to give the definitive answer, but if it were me then I'd fit the manifold above the upstairs floor and just run the flow and return down to the plant room.

I only have 2 short UFH loops upstairs.  I did consider bringing those down to the downstairs manifold, but the forum talked me out of it for the reasons given in the first reply.  Instead there is an upstairs manifold in the conventional manner with the manifold forming the high point to trap any air and bleed it out.

Nothing stopping the pumps and blenders etc being at the lowest point, but running the manifold upstairs. Put a manifold with an additional port on it, or fit the pipes with tees at the manifold and fit auto air bleeds as that is the highest point. 

How would this be done with the manifold sited downstairs for the g/f UFH? I am struggling to site an upstairs manifold but have decided to run a loop in the bedroom just in case we need some heat up there. If I need an upstairs manifold then how would this piped, just run two pipes from the d/s manifold to upstairs manifold in order to evacuate the air or could I just put a tee in the loop and put in some auto vents or is this a numpty question? TIA

11 hours ago, Pete said:

How would this be done with the manifold sited downstairs for the g/f UFH? I am struggling to site an upstairs manifold but have decided to run a loop in the bedroom just in case we need some heat up there. If I need an upstairs manifold then how would this piped, just run two pipes from the d/s manifold to upstairs manifold in order to evacuate the air or could I just put a tee in the loop and put in some auto vents or is this a numpty question? TIA

Anyone? TIA

Pete, you don't even need auto vents -- that's just a nice to have and probably overkill iMO: just a couple of conventional drain cocks will do fine, as you'll only be bleeding the system after first filling when the fill is still degassing.  A two port manifold can easily be tucked into a bathroom (even under washbasin) cupboard.

9 hours ago, TerryE said:

Pete, you don't even need auto vents -- that's just a nice to have and probably overkill iMO: just a couple of conventional drain cocks will do fine, as you'll only be bleeding the system after first filling when the fill is still degassing.  A two port manifold can easily be tucked into a bathroom (even under washbasin) cupboard.

Would I need to put a tee from the heat supply to feed both manifolds in order to do the install correctly?

I've got the Omine Torfloor system and was advised that I needed the auto air bleeding vents because of the manifold being downstairs and as others have mentioned, theres not enough of a flow rate to flush out the air. 

There pretty easy to put in, but in hindsight. I really should have put the manifold in upstairs, which ironically would have been right next door to the new boiler. Live and learn I guess.  

IMG_20181002_131813327.jpg.3bfd0a343e975a0d3893a8f5b8d402d6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Auto bleed vents are OK, but do need to be shut off with the cap when the air has been released.  They can, and do, fail, leading to a leak, unless the cap is on tightly.  I prefer manual vents, TBH, as I've yet to have one of those fail and cause a leak.

I would not like those inside a wall and inaccessible.  I would want to make some form of access to them.

Put them at socket height, and a 1G plasterboard electrical back box, with the back cut out, and a blank front plate would do it.  Well what other suggestion do you expect from an electrician?

• 2 weeks later...

There actually accessible from the alcove space behind them. At the time of that photo I had only cut the hole for one of the vents. But you can now walk/crouch in to the alcove and open a small hatch and service them. There pretty good the way they work. You just open the side valve and you hear the air escape but it doesn't seem to let the water out with it.....unless you open the bicycle looking valve on the very top.

Just finished the entire upstairs UFH installation now and hopefully next week it will be up and running. I know its sad...But I'm pretty happy with how this setup looks, seems a shame to have to hid it in a cupboard.....but if one of my nephews sees that lovely valve and decides to open it, the entire system will get dumped into my living room.  

IMG_20190309_194145.jpg