Where can I get tar planings ?

Jude1234

I am now looking at finishing part of outside so I can get BC sign off  (need the entrance to be wheelchair accessible ). I need a lot of material to bring up to floor level. Have read on here about tar planings that can be really cheap but how do I find them? And roughly what is a good price for them?

3 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

I am now looking at finishing part of outside so I can get BC sign off  (need the entrance to be wheelchair accessible ). I need a lot of material to bring up to floor level. Have read on here about tar planings that can be really cheap but how do I find them? And roughly what is a good price for them?

Hi

They are called road planings - if you're getting them in bulk, £7-10 / tonne delivered on 20 tonners is going rate around you. Give Carl Wright Haulage a call in Hucknall as they are usually shifting them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

£7-10 / tonne delivered on 20 tonners is going rate

+1 I have used quite a lot f plantings to repair my road, cheap and when “properly” compacted and tidied up will look presentable.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

My OH will love that, men and their machines lol

Actually I say I hired WE hired

I shuveld and my wife drove up and down for four hours 

She says that there are less polatics on a building site than in a office 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

They are called road planings - if you're getting them in bulk, £7-10 / tonne delivered on 20 tonners is going rate around you.

I tried to get some last week in mid Lincolnshire and there seems to be a shortage, have been offered 40 tons at £18 per ton or "call back in a few weeks and we might have some".

One problem with road plannings is that they can get a bit smelly under direct sun light so I would not want to use them near a patio area.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

If there are any roadwork schemes going on near you call in and ask will they sell you a few loads.  

I have been told that the downside of this option is that the plannings will be ungraded and will include some large lumpy bits, fine for a forest track but for a domestic door approach ramp?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

@Jude1234 as @Cpd says, compaction is the key and a whacker plate may not work so hire a roller for a weekend and you'll be fine.

If the OP is going to create an access ramp say 400mm high will the plannings lock together under compression like 2" clean hardcore or is there a risk the plannings will squelsh out sideways under a roller?

6 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I have been told that the downside of this option is that the plannings will be ungraded and will include some large lumpy bits, fine for a forest track but for a domestic door approach ramp?

They will be fine.  He is just using it as a cheap sub-base material.  He says he needs lots so use cheap stuff.  Roller it in going no more than 200mm at a time and it will compact and stay together lovely. Then top it with whatever you want for your finish,  quarry dust and paving slabs for example. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

If the OP is going to create an access ramp say 400mm high will the plannings lock together under compression like 2" clean hardcore or is there a risk the plannings will squelsh out sideways under a roller?

What's the definition of "clean hard core"?

Into any of mine I'll put:

Brick

Celcon

Breeze

Flints

Roof tiles

Ceramic, porcelain & quarry tiles

Broken crockery

Broken glass

I avoid:

Stuff I assume makes it "dirty": Timber, plastics, asbestos, rubble sacks, brick ties etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Just a term used in the aggregates industry to indicate the hardcore is comprised of a single graded size in contrast to something like MOT1 which is made up with a Ministry of Transport recipe of different sizes. I don't think the term indicates a hardcode contains dirty, toxic or recycled rubbish.   

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Tend to find that planings become one big mass with enough compaction as the tar sticks the bits together. The trick is to compact properly - do it in layers and use a heavy roller not a whacker plate

This explains why the last example I walked on had a slight springy feeling, it had been compacted with a whacker plate.

24 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I tried to get some last week in mid Lincolnshire and there seems to be a shortage, have been offered 40 tons at £18 per ton or "call back in a few weeks and we might have some".

One problem with road plannings is that they can get a bit smelly under direct sun light so I would not want to use them near a patio area.

That's a bit steep... Have you tried Brauncwell Quarry at Sleaford..? Other option is ring National at Wragby and find out where they are working locally.

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Just a term used in the aggregates industry to indicate the hardcore is comprised of a single graded size in contrast to something like MOT1 which is made up with a Ministry of Transport recipe of different sizes. I don't think the term indicates a hardcode contains dirty, toxic or recycled rubbish.   

MOT1 is just a grading - its basically 40mm to dust so anything that will go through a 40mm grid. There is a really good link to what is included here

• Like 1

Just now, PeterW said:

That's a bit steep... Have you tried Brauncwell Quarry at Sleaford..? Other option is ring National at Wragby and find out where they are working locally.

Yes, me and my follow self builders postponed our site road resurfacing because the price. I wonder if at this time of year more road projects are for fiddly frost related pothole repair or other urgent surface restoration and then later in the Spring the industry veers towards scheduled remaking of miles or A road and motorway hence more plannings.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Into any of mine I'll put:

Brick

Celcon

Breeze

Flints

Roof tiles

Ceramic, porcelain & quarry tiles

Broken crockery

Broken glass

I avoid:

Stuff I assume makes it "dirty": Timber, plastics, asbestos, rubble sacks, brick ties etc.

So, clay and rock based things that do not float..

I have used 40 odd tons of road plannings which I got near me for £4 per ton!I need another 20tons and guess what, they are surfacing the road outside our build and they will let me have them fir nothing if they can put some plant in my drive overnight ?(they have just had a load of plant nicked recently). They are great and if rollered well give a very solid base.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

light spray of red diesel just prior to rolling, especially on a hot day will help bind them all together as the diesel softens the tar.

A great tip ! Thanks 

• 6 months later...

Just been quoted £24 per tonne for plannings ...really?....missed out on about 3 months ago on nearby roads being done , didn't have anywhere to put them , now I need them and of course stupid prices ...anyone got any contacts for mid devon possibly north devon area?