Thermal store setup control

vfrdave

I have posted previously about some design questions here 

I have settled on a thermal store with 2 ufh manifolds and a radiator circuit. Looking some direction on my thoughts of how to connect this all to thermal store.

- Boiler connected via 2 port valve controlled by tank stats. 2 tank stats controlled via time clock one for summer (no ufh demand) one for winter.

- UFH zones and rads off a single tapping from thermal store, or should I separate rads to their own tapping? Either way each will have a 2 port valve.

- UFH pumps connected via the switched live from the zone valves, think I seen @Nickfromwales recommend this previously.

- Rads will be controlled from time clock and 2 port valve triggering their own pump.

Is this correct?

Should I do it different, I don't mean ashp instead of boiler?

Have I missed anything?

As always thanks in advance.

I have my ufh and rads on a different output.  My thermal store is upstairs and from it to my radiator manifold would be less than 1 metre.  I just use a simple time clock which I can program to come on in the morning to start the pump to  start heating upstairs. Nice and simple. 

All that other stuff is plumbers black magic talk. 

1 hour ago, vfrdave said:

UFH zones and rads off a single tapping from thermal store, or should I separate rads to their own tapping? Either way each will have a 2 port valve.

UFH and Rads can come off a single tapping but then split that and feed it into a blending valve at the store - no point pulling water at 65c to the UFH when it will blend it down to 35c at the manifold. 

Only issue you will face is the UFH manifold pumps fighting the rad circuit pump that will have much lower flow restriction. 

Have you ordered the TS yet ..?

52 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Only issue you will face is the UFH manifold pumps fighting the rad circuit pump that will have much lower flow restriction. 

Have you ordered the TS yet ..?

The rad circuit is only for a few towel rads and airing cupboard so won't be used regularly.

No the TS isn't ordered yet.

Following this with interest @PeterW as we are having a few issues this way in that the ufh when it comes on in the morning is taking all the hot water, the stove kicks in but we are having to wait a while to be able to get a shower, hubby was just saying our last ufh had a mixing valve at the boiler which was good but this hasn’t, his question is how would you control a mixing valve at the ts?

42 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

The rad circuit is only for a few towel rads and airing cupboard so won't be used regularly.

No the TS isn't ordered yet.

That makes a difference too.  Is the plan for the towel rails to also have electric elements for summer ..?

27 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Following this with interest @PeterW as we are having a few issues this way in that the ufh when it comes on in the morning is taking all the hot water, the stove kicks in but we are having to wait a while to be able to get a shower, hubby was just saying our last ufh had a mixing valve at the boiler which was good but this hasn’t, his question is how would you control a mixing valve at the ts?

Fairly simple - the blending valve bridges between the hot outlet and the cold return from the heating circuit. The blended flow then runs to the UFH manifold, and can be dropped to 45c or so. This means as the heat is drawn off, you’re not dumping the whole of your TS into the floor 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

No electric elements for towel rads.

Ok so just UFH and Towel rails on heating..? In that case I would put a primary blender on the tank and drop it to 48c, and run this to the towel rails and the UFH manifolds. It will be evident pretty quickly that the towel rail return is higher than a rad or UFH return so you'll just need the two zone valves for the UFH manifold and the towel rail circuit. How far are the manifolds from the TS..?

@Christine Walker I think your issue is that the load valves on your set up are pulling from the top of the tank - a tapping 1/3rd down would mean that the hot water still gets a good amount of available heat.

@vfrdave are you having a hot water coil in the tank, or an external plate heat exchanger...? 

On 23/02/2019 at 16:25, PeterW said:

so you'll just need the two zone valves for the UFH manifold and the towel rail circuit. 

The 2 ufh manifolds should they get a zone valve each, as well as a valve for rads?

How far are the manifolds from the TS..?

Rads and one of the UFH manifolds are adjacent to store. The other UFH manifold is about 15m away.

hot water coil in the tank, or an external plate heat exchanger...? 

Hot water coil was my thinking as from what I have read less bits needed for that compared to plate heat exchanger.

Edited by vfrdave

• 3 months later...

I eventually ordered my thermal store from Trevor @ cylinders2go. Super pleased and we'll impressed confirmed order Monday received thermal store today in Northern Ireland. Thanks for the recommendation @Nickfromwales

One query the aquastat supplied only goes to 65 degrees, surely I will need one that goes higher for a thermal store? Can anyone point me in the right direction, any I have looked at are 65 max.

I have a single mid height stat on my thermal store set to 50C but I only have DHW and UFH (no rads). Seems plenty hot enough for showers and washing up.  

Edited by Temp

This is what I have on mine. The top stat is set at about 65 though and does pretty hot DHW (I have to mix with cold when running a bath). I don’t have rads though. 

FF73B583-D73E-41E5-9E62-02AE2CEB3778.png

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Depends which port it goes into, but at 65c  1/3rd down you will have 75c at the top. Plenty to go at. 

Never thought of it like that. I have stat pockets at third and two thirds down.