Wobbly tap

lizzie

The basin tap in my wetroom was always a bit 'loose' now it is doing quarter turn when used. The top bit - the pillar - is moving. I have taken a photo of underneath - its really difficult to get at.

Is there something I can do to solve this or do I need a plumber? I have no tools beyond usual screwdrivers and pliers and not much use of hands so hoping any solution will be easier than leaking shower screen......got to have another go at that when I get the energy LOL

Thanks for any advice you can give.

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

That’s a 10mm brass nut on a standard stem. Long reach socket is best, or a 10mm spanner. Depending on where it’s from though, it may be nearer 11mm as tolerances aren’t good on those if they came from overseas..!

Brass bit needs nipping up to tighten the tap in place but don’t go mad ..!

Just now, PeterW said:

That’s a 10mm brass nut on a standard stem. Long reach socket is best, or a 10mm spanner. Depending on where it’s from though, it may be nearer 11mm as tolerances aren’t good on those if they came from overseas..!

Brass bit needs nipping up to tighten the tap in place but don’t go mad ..!

Is a long reach socket a spanner?  I dont have any spanners maybe I should buy some!  It's a Porcelanosa fitting made in Spain.

A lot depends on how far up you can get your hands and how much purchase you can get.

The angled spanners might work but it will be difficult to exert a lot of torque using one, a long socket would be better.

As it is a one off use try and borrow one or find the cheapest piece you can find that does the job.

These at £5.05 on Amazon would probably do the job assuming that you have the wrench that fits into them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtech-I6400-Sockets-4-Inch-9-Piece/dp/B003XKIGR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550860851&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+socket+sethttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtech-I6400-Sockets-4-Inch-9-Piece/dp/B003XKIGR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550860851&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+socket+set

• Thanks 1

The Scotsmans way is the "tool-less" way.

Push the tap a little to the right of centre. Hold it there.  Reach up with your other hand and tighten the brass bit as tight as you can by hand.  Then holding the brass bit, turn the tap back to centre  to tighten it the last bit.

It sometimes works,. don't blame me if it does not.

I much prefer the taps with a solid copper "tail" far less likely to work loose.

• Thanks 1

We have one tap with exactly that type of fixing, and I can understand your frustration, as I've had to tighten it back up twice so far, and it's a complete PITA to get at, even with a deep socket and extension.  Our kitchen tap, OTOH, has a brilliant fixing, a deep (around 150mm) hollow nut, around 30mm in diameter, that projects down far enough that you can see it.  It was a doddle to install, and made me wonder why more tap manufacturers don't use something like this.  Mind you, it was Dutch, so may be they like to make life easier for installers.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lizzie said:

got a dribble of water run done my fingers though, hope thats not a bad sign.

It possibly is ... was there any water on the top of the sink when you did this ..?? 

If there is water under there it could be coming from one of the tap flexi tails that is not done up tight ... do not over tighten these as they have O Rings in them..!

In the old place we had a corroded waste in a basin.

It was a pedestal basin. I suspect that they put in the basin, connected up the fittings then put the pedestal in.

Then we tiled around the base of the pedestal. I couldn't see any way to change the waste, so I just gave up and built a new house.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It possibly is ... was there any water on the top of the sink when you did this ..?? 

If there is water under there it could be coming from one of the tap flexi tails that is not done up tight ... do not over tighten these as they have O Rings in them..!

No water on top it came from underneath as I was trying to turn the nut with fingers and holding pillar steady with other hand per Pro Dave method....................I thought I felt water on the flexi pipe when I first started looking at it but ignored it.  So next question is how do I tighten those tails - not with monobloc spanner I guess.  My water system alerts me to a micro leak regularly and I have driven myself nuts trying to find it, could this be it I wonder. Iceberg looming I fear!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Onoff said:

@lizzie, did you sort your wobbly tap?

Got one to install shortly.

I did ....in the end I got a local man in to do it I just couldnt manage it with my hands.  He charged me £40....outrageous really as he could walk here he lives that close and it only took 5 minutes. Still better than £80 silicone lot though ?