Critique my Solar PV Offering

Triassic

33 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Can someone clarify that it will be OK to mount the panels now, months before we connect them up to the inverter and the power supply?

Yes. No problem at all. 

The DC cables need terminating and anyone working there made aware that they could be live on a sunny day. 

If you connect optimisers but not the inverter then it won’t be a problem as the optimisers won’t let voltage through iirc.  

If you happen to be installing SolarEdge optimizers anyway, do so at the same time as the panels as they have a "Safety & Monitoring Interface" thing that keeps the module output at 1V until hooked up to an inverter, which is nice feature if the panels are going to be sat for a while.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'd also like to ask for some critique on a PV offering. I've got a bit of sticker shock to be honest.

I just got quoted for the following:

3.45kWp system

10 year payback

10x Q-cell 345W mono panels

Hwawei 5kW hybrid inverter (I think battery ready makes sense)

All the GSE mounting trays and associated gubbins

About 5k parts and 5k labour. We're in Gloucestershire.

Did anyone else spit out their tea? Or does this sound about right?

33 minutes ago, ig218 said:

Hi, I'd also like to ask for some critique on a PV offering. I've got a bit of sticker shock to be honest.

I just got quoted for the following:

3.45kWp system

10 year payback

10x Q-cell 345W mono panels

Hwawei 5kW hybrid inverter (I think battery ready makes sense)

All the GSE mounting trays and associated gubbins

About 5k parts and 5k labour. We're in Gloucestershire.

Did anyone else spit out their tea? Or does this sound about right?

£10k is bloody heavy tbh. 4kWp fully fitted system from my solar guy ( SolarWatt German manufactured ) would be £8.5-9k absolute max if it were a pig of a job. 
That’s for glass/glass ( Vision 365 ) panels guaranteed for 30 years. Drop £1k to go to the foil backed classic panels with 20 years guarantee.

For Chinese names the price should be lower. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

£10k is bloody heavy tbh. 4kWp fully fitted system from my solar guy ( SolarWatt German manufactured ) would be £8.5-9k absolute max if it were a pig of a job. 
That’s for glass/glass ( Vision 365 ) panels guaranteed for 30 years. Drop £1k to go to the foil backed classic panels with 20 years guarantee.

For Chinese names the price should be lower. 

+1. our 10.5kWp array cost us just over £10k installed with in-roof GSE trays.

6 hours ago, Thorfun said:

+1. our 10.5kWp array cost us just over £10k installed with in-roof GSE trays.

Yup. The solar revolution has begun, sadly. Prices are going up and soon it will get expensive. Problem is, the cheap equipment posse will be matching quotes from the big names and some folk will be sold a dream and get a nightmare.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. The solar revolution has begun, sadly. Prices are going up and soon it will get expensive. Problem is, the cheap equipment posse will be matching quotes from the big names and some folk will be sold a dream and get a nightmare.

Damn certain I'll miss the boat 🙁