Gas Hob with Built in Extractor

mac_1

hi people, 

due to certain constraints with our kitchen, namely a long narrow window pane running along the wall we have to find a downdraft extractor solution. we would go with a duct out extractor run under the plinth. 

my kitchen designer is ranting and raving about bora - and has priced me for a domino system which consists of 2 gas hobs (CG11), Classic cooktop extractor (CKASE) and ducting, wall vent and plates for around 5k (inc VAT).  I did mention that there are other similar products on the market - domino systems that are far more affordable but she basically has said that nothing compares with Bora referring to Bora as the Ferrari of downdraft extractors! 

doing some research I have come across the following product from Elica - https://elica.com/IT-en/hobs/nikolatesla-flame

only is sue is that it is not in production at the moment and distributers are saying early June release is expected. 

there seems to be a range of extractors for induction hobs, unfortunately due to our cooking style induction is not an option - we need the flame!

was hoping the folk on here can help provide some impartial advice.

thanks!  

1 hour ago, mac_1 said:

hi people, 

due to certain constraints with our kitchen, namely a long narrow window pane running along the wall we have to find a downdraft extractor solution. we would go with a duct out extractor run under the plinth. 

my kitchen designer is ranting and raving about bora - and has priced me for a domino system which consists of 2 gas hobs (CG11), Classic cooktop extractor (CKASE) and ducting, wall vent and plates for around 5k (inc VAT).  I did mention that there are other similar products on the market - domino systems that are far more affordable but she basically has said that nothing compares with Bora referring to Bora as the Ferrari of downdraft extractors! 

doing some research I have come across the following product from Elica - https://elica.com/IT-en/hobs/nikolatesla-flame

only is sue is that it is not in production at the moment and distributers are saying early June release is expected. 

there seems to be a range of extractors for induction hobs, unfortunately due to our cooking style induction is not an option - we need the flame!

was hoping the folk on here can help provide some impartial advice.

thanks!  

I have bora on induction. There are people on here who prefer other manufacturers but thats personal preference.  I liked Bora best so thats what I had. 

I had always cooked on gas and insisted  I was having gas in new build  (domino was what I was going for) then I had experience of induction in rental house. Would not go back to gas if you paid me and that is astonishing coming from someone who was so committed to gas we paid 13k to get mains gas in!.  My advice would be try to find some way of living with an induction for a few weeks and see how you like it.

• Like 2

If you are looking at gas with downdraft, you have a pretty big challenge to overcome. Unlike induction there is a greater amount of air currents created due to the naked flame and this tends to push the odours/smoke upwards at a higher rate . Further a downdraft extractor flush with the worktop is going to create air movement that will affect your flame detrimentally.

While manufacturers make this product to serve a market you will never ever get anywhere close to the claimed performance with a gas hob.

Then consider this - heat rises. This is a plain fact of physics. To draw this heat and heat assisted smoke, odours down from the rim of the pan is a challenge that any extractor has to overcome. One of the fundamental problems that ANY flush downdraft faces is the performance overhead of the task at hand. Bora claims to have solved this problem with air velocity, but tests have shown that all other manufacturers achieve similar velocities to Bora so that doesnt make them unique in any way.

I have a Gutmann extractor at home and while its a very good product and installed with the best ducting gear available, it is far from perfect. It only really works when shallow flying in a very flat pan. Try cooking with a medium height saucepan, pasta pot etc and the reality hits home. This is the reason why you see all Bora adverts showing water boiling and steam being effectively extracted away - ASSISTED by a lid on the pan. Take the lid away and things look very different.

I recommend the Novy because they have not fallen for this trend and instead offer vented hobs where the extraction unit rises to 2 or 3 levels from the hob top allowing very effective extraction. Further all pans are always next to the extraction point so the motor can be run at a lower speed compared to traditional downdraft hoods

The Novy Panorama is particularly good and I wish I had got one instead (wasnt on the market when my kitchen went in).

In summary, If you have to have a gas hob, consider a conventional downdraft with the caveat that its still not 100% or a different type of extraction.