Wood drill bits - which are best ?

Triassic

I’ve just started first fix plumbing, by drilling holes in the timber frame for the pipes, using my old but trusty spade bit. Three holes later and it’s blunt! I’m thinking I need something better, but what?

Can anyone recommend a make of good quality wood drill bits?

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

I’ve just started first fix plumbing, by drilling holes in the timber frame for the pipes, using my . Three holes later and it’s blunt! I’m thinking I need something better, but what?

Can anyone recommend a make of good quality wood drill bits?

"old but trusty spade bit"--think thats says it  alL 

have  you sharpened it ever?--try that while waiting for new goodies#

the type suggested are superior  no question  about it 

Edited by scottishjohn

2 hours ago, bassanclan said:

This is what you want 

https://www.axminster.co.uk/armeg-wood-beaver-drill-bits-ax783344

(Not necessarily from Axminster,  that just appeared at the top of the Google search)

‘I used something similar and it was great, if you hit a nail it’s not the end of the world.... whereas if you hit a nail with your big un then it’s devastating!  It’s all about balance...... has this bad boy for years and years and when needed it’s just the best.   

CBFCF8D3-488E-4E70-BD69-501FC2C93A2E.jpeg

Another happy Armeg Beaver customer here.

I've got the one, a 12mm, but it has done a ridiculous amount of work for me.

The ring beam that my house sits on is made of two layers of 75mm douglas fir, sistered up, and held together with literally hundreds of 150mm bolts. The Armeg in my impact driver drilled every one of those holes, no sweat, and continues to be my best and sharpest drill bit.

In fact I think I may have just talked myself into getting a full set of them...

22 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Whilst on the subject of drilling holes in wood. The MVHR duct pipe needs installing next, what sort of drill you all use to drill through the studs etc?

What size holes? Through 50mm studs? Hole saws on wood are bit bit of a ball ache IMO. OK on thinner material, like Steico Web. 

16 minutes ago, Triassic said:

From what I’ve read the plastic flexible duct is 83mm in diameter. Holes to be drilled mainly through 50mm Studs.

The majority of it is 75mm OD, 63mm ID, although there is one brand that's 83mm OD, not sure it's that commonly used though, as there are half a dozen suppliers of the 75/63 stuff.