Single screw brand for a whole build.

epsilonGreedy

I purchased some Spax screws (Torx head type) out of curiosity for a small carpentry job and have been so impressed I am thinking about using them exclusively for the rest of my build. Would it make sense to tool up for a single type of screw bit type and use a single branded screw for a whole build?

This large starter selection box from Spax caught my eye, £140 for 2446 screws.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spax-L-BOXX-Countersunk-T-Star-5000009161019/dp/B072B9TTRH/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1550273546&sr=1-6&keywords=spax+screws

Part of my thinking here is influenced by the @recoveringacademicthread where he lamented all those trips to the BM each time he encountered a requirement for a new screw size.

Torx head screws are pretty good IMHO.  They do need decent quality Torx bits, though.  I shattered a couple of bits from a set (think they were the ones that came with one of the Makitas), which apart from being a nuisance tends to send bit of metal shrapnel flying in all directions.  Since I switched to using Wera bits I've had no problem at all, apart from the price of the things.  I now use the Wera HF bits exclusively, as they have the advantage of gripping the screw tight, so you can fit a screw to the bit and it stays there, useful for one-handed operation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I purchased some Spax screws (Torx head type) out of curiosity for a small carpentry job and have been so impressed I am thinking about using them exclusively for the rest of my build. Would it make sense to tool up for a single type of screw bit type and use a single branded screw for a whole build?

[...]

Yes. 

But not for everyone. They are perfect for  self builders (the full-on type) who are in control of everything: well nearly - the sparky comes in to do xyz - so short of giving her the exactly correct spec screws yourself, you have to accept some 'screw diversity' 

(Sincere apologies - you can take the pedant out of the self build, but not out of his turn of phrase)

And this, this is the real danger, specially when you aren't looking

54 minutes ago, PeterW said:

[...]

Where the screws aren’t in danger of being accessed, I use torx head Spax too

[...]

The BarStewards just nick them......

Worse - people see your

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

[...]

Wera HF bits

[...]

lying around, and guess what: they get nicked.

I have now washed my WERA bit set three or four times now. It stays in my left hand work trouser pocket permanently. Its too big to gum up the washing machine, too small to leave lying around. Too expensive to keep buying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just used 2800 of the Spax screws for our chipboard. They seem to have worked well.

It's amazing how quickly you go through these.

For odd wee jobs where I had to use a manual screwdriver the Torx screw made life so much easier than a standard screw. 

I'm sure there will be a reason for this, but why are all screws not just torx types?

13 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I wondered that and found this: 

a quiet evening's reading by the fireside. Oh, and this......

Next time I'm struggling to sleep because of the self build. I will remember these articles and should be away in a few seconds.

I'm terrible from going from one article to another on Wikipedia, surprised I've never end up here on these pages.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Interesting, "Spax" does not get a mention in either list, I assume they adopted a variant of the Torx drive.

Moving on from drives, has anyone used this type of thread for flooring?

https://www.spax.com/en/service/technical-terms/fixing-thread/

fixiergewinde.jpg

16 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

TIL Phillips (two Ls) screws don't come from the Dutch electrical/electronics company Philips (which only has one L), as I'd previously assumed.

Well I am still clinging to the belief that the Robertson square drive was invented in the Golden Shred marmalade factory.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yeah, wot's 'at abart ven? Wha's rong wiv a normal screw?

Bet Ed  @Construction Channel knows......

Those are the flooring screws I used. I don't know the actual answer but I can only assume its to stop any potential squeaking even if the timber below shrinks. 

Quick Google didn't really help much

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Interesting, "Spax" does not get a mention in either list, I assume they adopted a variant of the Torx drive.

fixiergewinde.jpg

Flooring should really just be glued with D4 - if that is done correctly then the joists and floor move as a single unit. Fairly easy to do, and you don’t need lots of screws or nails which is actually what squeaks in the first place ..!

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

fixiergewinde.jpg

These are great screw for flooring, apart from the price. They really 'pull' the chipboard down tight and countersink nicely, used with glue you won't have any squeaks at all. 

Torx drive I'd say is the least likely to slip in the head of the screw (haven't tried square drive) but I personally just use pozi due to price, and it helps that they are more universal IMO