Stud finder

Pocster

Hard to beat a nice strong magnet.  I have a reasonably OK stud finder, but I don't wholly trust it, as it can struggle a bit at times.  A really strong magnet will reliably find plasterboard screws, and once you have found one of those you can be pretty certain there's a stud or batten behind it.  I then use lots of small (around 5mm diameter) magnets to mark the position of every screw head I find.  The result is a map on the wall of where the studs/battens are, with no pencil marks anywhere.

• Like 3

Just stuck some magnets on a wall as an illustration.  The big magnet has a hole in the centre, which is just the right size for a pencil (if you want to mark the wall).  The smaller magnets are showing the heads of the screws found by the larger magnet.  Took me maybe 30 seconds to do this, and most of that was spent finding the first stud (others are easier as you can guess roughly where they will be):

514737992_Magnetsasstudfinders.thumb.JPG.265eb39864dd7a11416546e99b517630.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

So are you after the Imex CF101 or CF202? Why is one twice the price of the other when the spec. seems the same.

No idea !

Suspect neither work “ for me “

Its the ‘eco’ version whatever the F that means for a stud finder ?

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...