Romeo welding his Juliet. As usual, there's a twist

You NEVER told us you had a mentor!

I had visions of you lashing it together thinking it was great and then grandchidren or such like running into it with disastrous results.

I remember the shipping container welding attempts!

Go for it then but I stand by my finishing comments. It'll be bloody annoying having rust streaks down your render in a few years time. Galvanize then paint or ppc would be my first choice. Shot blast to Swedish standard SA2.5, zinc flame spray then paint or ppc the second choice. A quick home wire brushing and painting won't last imo. And don't be tempted to have it powder coated over bare steel even if clean, if not galvanised or zinc flame sprayed first.

I looked at some stuff I put in 32 years ago the other week. 5 floors up the side of a building. That was zfs/ppc. Still looks good.

28 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Where's the challenge in that? 

As to screen-name change Hephaestus he had a problem with his missus  : Debbie is completely faithful to me. 

How about the Roman equivalent Vulcan?

He made slave girls from gold to do his every bidding.

...was a very ugly baby too! :)

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A quick home wire brushing and painting won't last imo

I think it’s great your going to do it, so much more satisfaction doing it yourself but it would be a real shame for it to become a maintenance pain due to rust so I will also go with onof and say that you should get it hot galvanise dipped after it is built. Looking forward to some photos! I am the worlds worse welder so I will be looking for some good tips !  

14 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

I would make a jig up, [...]

• Grab a sheet of ply and draw out exactly [...] your balcony
  • screw little blocks on to mark out all your spacing between bars and top to bottom etc. 
  • Cut steel and lay on your jig so all your steel sits exactly on top of there drawn shape
  • drop a chunk of 2x2 across it all and screw down to hold it all still
  • tack weld every joint

now you can weld it all up with out it all going wibbly wobbly. 

[...]

(reformatted to help me)

Thanks: I'd kind of wondered whether I ought to do that..... now I know. I need to make sure the bars are exactly in the middle of the cross pieces, so I'll need to bear that in mind when making the jig.

Frankly, I see this as a fun job, so I'll be doing it at weekends.....

As to Vulcan @Onoff, not so sure that I could carry off the nudity: but then  I would fuss over a little thing like that wouldn't I 

800px-Andrea_Mantegna_045.thumb.jpg.dbd4af5ba75bbe05bfde64054e8441a8.jpg

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

For local steel suppliers have a look through these pages here, might be useful to someone:

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/steel-suppliers-your-help-please.4311/

just remember if you want to do alli or s/s you need a/c not dc   and argon gas if not stick welding

Edited by scottishjohn