Large door heights

Vijay

I have 2 largish external openings of 3385 wide which are probably going to be either french or sliding doors. The height of the openings on the plans is 2400 and my finished ceiling height is 2586.

What I'm wondering is would it look nicer if the doors were full height without the 186 of wall at the top. I can't think of any negatives apart from it might cause me a slight issue with the brick slips on the outside but I'm sure I could do something to sort that out. My build is in ICF so it's easily adapted.

I have 2 windows along that same wall which are both 2250 head height.

Has anyone done full height doors? Any pics?

Cheers

Vijay

Edited by Vijay

What will you have inside the doors by way of blinds or curtains? If you have something planned now (or may in the future) having a dropped ceiling may be beneficial hiding the blind or curtain track so that would need the corresponding wall above the doors. We're not expecting to have internal blinds for some sliding door areas initially but will leave a gap between the dropped ceiling and wall above the sliding doors to allow for this (with power for automated blinds if we go that way).

If you've a service cavity in the ceiling create a recess about 100mm wide by 50mm high (or whatever your service cavity allows if less) the full width of the ope. You can have the curtain track or a blind that disappears up into the ceiling and still have the glazing go up to the ceiling. As it's a recess which isn't seen you can hide a power or data cable should you wish to automate the blind or curtain in future. Put in a few timber noggins to grounds for blind or curtain if timber frame. Just a word of caution that going over 2400mm in height reduces the number of window suppliers who can offer a guarantee at that height so maybe do research on your window companies first before committing to the additional height. Otherwise I'd go for it.

• Like 1

Never thought about curtains or blinds, but I would have no probs fixing them to the ceiling.

I'll contact the window companies to see what options they offer :)  Why wouldn't they guarantee windows at that height though??