Negotiating Price of Windows

Triassic

My quotes were supply-only, based on the sizes in the plans for the timber frame.  Before ordering, I re-measured on site to check that a) the frame was to plan, and b) the brickies had made the openings in the outer skin match the timber frame.  I was confident that the measurements were correct (- they were), but I'll admit to a few sleepless nights. As often, it just comes down to what level of risk versus reward you're comfortable with, but as @pocster said, you need to be sure there are no 'unknown unknowns'.

12 hours ago, craig said:

Ignore the fact that the drawing shows a supplied corner post, the priciple is the same. I’ve assumed Auraplus? 

3CCD87E2-D2CC-434C-8ED1-3E5743CAAF97.thumb.png.975200cb964804d825c4f27a69aae9ce.png

It doesn’t have grooves on the cladding and this detail shows a return on the cladding creating a shadow gap. The principle would be the same for using your own post.

If your not comfortable with the depth, rather than returning back onto the post and fixing, you could return it behind the cladding of the fixed jamb. You could also have it sit slightly prouder and then fix it ontop of the fixed frame cladding.

Thanks Craig, this is the sort of detail I needed. Now I have an idea of how the cover prices work and can easily measure and produce a drawing for each cover peice I need. Where would you get such items from and can you get them in any RAL colour to match the windows?

Any aluminium supplier, your best fitting the windows then taken the flashing measurements (just for safety/costs).

You’ll get them in any ral, let them know whether gloss or matt finish.

Edited by craig

10 hours ago, craig said:

It isn’t always necessary to come and measure and can delay build progress, that’s just wrong advice to give and probably based on your experiences for which I’m sorry you have endured.

You are wrong.

The fact it's based on my experience - shows it is real advice. Not what I think but what I expereienced.

Take the timber frame. I measured it to get a quote. The company then measured it "properly". When it was delivered was wrong!. But they measured it wrong not me. Imagine if that had been the other there way around - liability would of been with me. I'm probably going to have 40k worth of glass. If a company ( after my initial measurements ) can't be bothered to send a sales rep to measure ( so they accept liability ) ; then I'm not going to risk 40k.

You could argue measuring for windows is a much simpler thing i.e. the size of the hole. Quite probably if you measured yourself all would be good.

Edited by pocster

Not wrong, I order of drawings pretty much every day. It’s rare for any opening size to be wrong, as long as all parties communicate before the timber kit/window order is raised nothing “should” go wrong. As others here would testify too.

There is a few occassions when site measurements would be required but in general not required at all.

3 minutes ago, craig said:

Not wrong, I order of drawings pretty much every day. It’s rare for any opening size to be wrong, as long as all parties communicate before the timber kit/window order is raised nothing “should” go wrong. As others here would testify too.

There is a few occassions when site measurements would be required but in general not required at all.

My response was based off my experience. If the build exactly matches the drawings then yes it’s all perfect . 

If the contractor messes up even off accurate plans then their fault .

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

My response was based off my experience. If the build exactly matches the drawings then yes it’s all perfect . 

If the contractor messes up even off accurate plans then their fault .

I appreciate that and acknowledged that in my initial response.

We have at least three windows open8ngs that are smaller than the drawings and one window has been eliminated due to a structural issue with a beam above it. The style has also changed from that shown on the architects drawings. Also the Bi-fold doors have been changed for lift and slide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I'm probably going to have 40k worth of glass.

How the other 10% live! :)

The two DG windows I had made to order last year came to about £200!

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How the other 10% live! :)

The two DG windows I had made to order last year came to about £200!

Going to mount my walk on glass in a vertical frame and make a ‘rustic’ front door ?

Edited by pocster

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Going to mount my walk on glass in a vertical frame and make a ‘rustic’ front door ?

What a cop out.

Build a wall-of-death bicycle window or up-and-over-backswards backflip window.

Make it happen or they are not walk-on windows !

(Update: Or a bridge over a pond as the only route to your door)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

I'm in final discussions with the window company and up pops a sales promo from them into my inbox. Triple glazed for the price of double.

Anyone got any idea what the price difference is between double and triple glazing, as I clearly need to squeeze the window company some more, as there's been no mention of this in my negotiations so far!

• 2 months later...

I understand that when comparing window quotes you should try your best to compare apples with apples. Looking just at the area for rough cost comparison purposes, What do you think of these prices? 

Windows £312.90 / m2

Doors.     £470.70 / m2

On 01/03/2019 at 16:46, Triassic said:

I'm in final discussions with the window company and up pops a sales promo from them into my inbox. Triple glazed for the price of double.

Anyone got any idea what the price difference is between double and triple glazing, as I clearly need to squeeze the window company some more, as there's been no mention of this in my negotiations so far!

I was told by a glazing company that the price difference to them for double to triple is very little , like 5% or so ...

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I understand that when comparing window quotes you should try your best to compare apples with apples. Looking just at the area for rough cost comparison purposes, What do you think of these prices? 

Windows £312.90 / m2

Doors.     £470.70 / m2

These prices  are based on timber framed, Ali-clad, triple (3G) glazing.

I'd add that I have seen a significant variation in u-values even for "timber framed, Ali-clad, triple (3G) glazing". 0.65 is not the same as 1.1. For 0.7-0.8 these prices look very good judging by several previous discussions here. 

3 hours ago, oldkettle said:

For 0.7-0.8 these prices look very good judging by several previous discussions here. 

Looking at the Rationel Auraplus brochure, it suggests Rationel low-energy window have a Uw value of  0.79 W/m2k (Aldus 3-layer pane).

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Looking at the Rationel Auraplus brochure, it suggests Rationel low-energy window have a Uw value of  0.79 W/m2k (Aldus 3-layer pane).

Sounds good. Do they include u-values in the quote? 

6 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Thank you. Oddly, this document promises exactly that: "The actual thermal transmission coefficient of the product is provided in quotations and order confirmations..." 

Edited by oldkettle

Checking the quote again, there is no mention of u values on the actual quote.

Having established that the window and door prices aren’t too bad, all I need to do now is sort out the +vat bit of the two quotes (supply and installation).