Kitchen Layout

Sjk

Hi all,

I cant quite make up my mind on the best kitchen layout.

The first and second include a space for either a full height window or door, the third is what I was originally going to do.

The front of the house faces east, so the additional window will face south, however there is a single story building where the boundary wall is, which may limit light. Also it will over look the tandem parking spaces, maybe a side door would be useful.

Don't think I'll bother with high wall units as it will make the kitchen look smaller.

Edited by Sjk

I’m against wall units as they aren’t the easiest to use and aren’t that big. 

Consider making one wall of the kitchen full height floor ceiling units and you get double the wall unit depth plus the additional height. 

Have you thought of using something like Ikea or other online kitchen planners for your kitchen plan. You need far more information than on these pictures.I agree with your thoughts on wall units, also consider tall housings for appliances and storage. Instead of cupboards under the worktops pan drawer sets work well . In the corners 900 l shape base units give you the best access for basic units.

We used up-and-over wall units above our work surfaces and we think that they work well. A variant of what @cherryfountain suggests we used a local Wickes kitchen designer face-to-face, and he did a very good job. Their configuration software makes sure that you order all of the right bits and pieces. They also supplied everything and at a competitive price. We also tried a more up-market company, but went with Wickes in the end. I suspect there is little to choose between any of the budget kitchen providers. As far as I know everyone uses the same suppliers for carcasses hinge furniture, etc. So there is little to choose between them, I feel.

The main variant in terms of quality is the kitchen fitters, and in our case we fitted the kitchen ourselves so that wasn't an issue: I am a pretty good woodworker and very fastidious, so we knew we would get the fitting that we would want.

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1