Spatial planning of renewables system

The thing that puts me of oil, is the huge volatility in price. In the time we were using it, it went from about 25p per litre to over 70, it's lower than that now, but it varied a lot more than electricity.  If you do go for that, get a tank large enough for a year or more, most years it is cheaper in the summer, August us usually about the lowest.

Bulk LPG, unlike oil, ties you to that supplier, but bottled LPG is very expensive.  We use bottled for cooking and a 47Kg bottle lasts over a year so not so bad.

Don't discount solid fuel for heating, even dare I say it a wood pellet boiler and claim the RHI?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update on all of this as we work up the outline spec. Thinking now has shifted away from the whole oil/LPG question for a range/back boiler to a mix as follows:

Pellet fuelled stove/boiler (eg http://www.ludlowstoves.co.uk/product/klover-120) for the cooking, hot water and central heating (feeding UFH in the back of the downstairs section - a limecrete/slate flagstone combination), plus radiator/log burner combinations in two front ground floor rooms and radiators in upstairs rooms. These boiler/stoves are eligible for RHI which is a bonus, and pellet deliveries probably more straight forward logistically up the track to the house than bulk LPG or oil. We would have a good supply of firewood (soft) onsite, but speaking to a few folk the verdict is the effort of creating and using your own logs is not worthwhile in comparison to bulk order of bags of pellets, even with the manual tops ups then required into the hopper. The logs we do chop we can instead use in the log burners. Anyone here have other views?

Electrical supply still via solar/hydro combination, backup generator and battery pack. Extra renewable electrical supply to also feed hot water. Need to more firmly size the potential v installation cost v cash to fund it equation of the hydro but probably 1kw pelton turbine, and solar would be about a 4 to 5kw set up.

On 17/02/2019 at 08:40, JSHarris said:

Worth looking at Paul Camelli's hydro setup at his off-grid house up on Raasay: https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Aside. From the link:

It was a good day for collecting beach stones for the veg patch.

Why does one need beach stones for the veg patch?

I used driveway stones in my tenant's grave last week to specify the precise colour of masonry paint she *desires* (and does not exactly get),  but why these beach stones?

F

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Aside. From the link:

I used driveway stones in my tenant's grave last week to specify the precise colour of masonry paint she *desires* (and does not exactly get),  but why these beach stones?

F

Looking at previous posts, it seems they're for a path!

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/page/10/?s=quadzilla

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Aside. From the link:

F

For the record, that is

tenant's gravel

not

tenant's grave

F

• Haha 3