Can this be right? (E7 tariff)

joe90

After @JSHarris switched to E7 I thought I would look into it, I am with green energy so looked at their tariffs and (if I read it right) E7 gives you slightly cheaper DAY RATE as well as cheap night rate and nearly identical charge per day rate,  https://www.greenenergyuk.com/SimpleTariffs

They already quoted me £150 to change the meter.

whats not to like?

Edited by joe90

40 minutes ago, joe90 said:

After @JSHarris switched to E7 I thought I would look into it, I am with green energy so looked at their tariffs and (if I read it right) E7 gives you slightly cheaper DAY RATE as well as cheap night rate and nearly identical charge per day rate,  https://www.greenenergyuk.com/SimpleTariffs

They already quoted me £150 to change the meter.

whats not to like?

Just had a look.

They quoted me  31.74p daily charge, day rate 21.56p night rate 14.71p

I pay less than their day rate and a lower daily charge for a single rate supply,

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just had a look.

They quoted me  31.74p daily charge, day rate 21.56p night rate 14.71p

I pay less than their day rate and a lower daily charge for a single rate supply,

Does location make a difference?, they do ask for your postcode!, @ProDave who is your supplier then?

There is a massive variation in tariff with location, and it's not at all consistent AFAICS.  I keep hearing about "really great" tariffs, only to find when I check for our post code that they are uncompetitive.  The only one that seems consistent over a wide area (it seems to be the same everywhere) is Octopus Go.  It's a good deal if you are OK with a smart meter and can shift most of your consumption into the 4 hour off-peak period, from 12:00 to 04:00, IIRC.

Right, finally got to check stuff and Octopus seem great, 21.13p per day against 32.09 currently paying. Day rate is 15.77 against currently paying 21.29 or Octopus offer E7 at 18.7 day rate and 10.45  night  rate. From their website Octpus don’t say what it will cost to change the meter to E7 and green energy quoted £150 to do this. Anyone got any better deals out there? (Bearing in mind location might preclude some suppliers).

So the quick way to get E7 for free is go to one of the big 6 on a standard tariff for a month. 

Book the switch to a standard tariff - call them and ask for the E7 meter install. Then as soon as it’s installed do a switch and 28 days later you should be on your new supplier. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

What are the official hours 10-5?

more like midnight to 7AM GMT varies a bit from region to region

If you do switch to E7, then solar PV becomes more attractive as your generation will be offsetting the higher daytime rate.

Try Bulb. Seen many people switch to them and they have offered both the referer and the person being referred £50. I am stuck with my current supplier so can't switch to anyone just now :(. Still, on the bright side my supplier has screwed up my tariff again after only just correcting it via an ombudsman decision so I'll just refer it back to the ombudsman if they try to overcharge me again. Twats! It's in my favour just now so am keeping QT about it for now. 

I did think of E10, just found this on the which website. 

“Octopus Energy can accept customers and put them on an Economy 7 tariff but with 10 off-peak hours.”

I will contact them and ask if they can supply E10 and what the times and rates are.

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

Octopus

Ah, your tariff must relate to your area then (Damn). Right, Octopus 12m fixed it is then, I am waiting a reply to see what they charge to change the meter, if they do I will change to EDF with dual rate meter then immediately change to Octopus. also

I will ask about E10 (as the above quote from Which indicates they give 10 hours but call it E7 ?????:) I will report back ?