Electric Vehicle Tariffs

This 125KWh / person / day figure.

I think we are doing badly if we use that in a WEEK.

Okay I am only taking about house electricity, so I guess there is road fuel to add but my road fuel bill is not a lot higher than than  the house electricity bill.

I guess I "use" energy elsewhere for powering "infrastructure" which must be shared equally among the population.

If that figure really is correct, it shows how much of the energy use attributed to me is beyond my control to do anything about.

I thought that energy figure was just the total primary energy used by the UK divided by the population, wasn't it? 

If it is, then it seems to not be a million miles away from the only data I can find quickly, which suggests that the per capita energy consumption in 2014 (the latest year I can find data for) was about 95.4 kWh/day.  MacKay was probably using older data, which may have given a higher energy use, plus the population may well have increased as well.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I think Primary energy is really the better figure when talking at a national scale.

I think it's a dreadful figure when comparing technologies because it's so dependent on the technology in use.

E.g., any time you turn energy into heat and then try to use that heat for something else (e.g., a gas or nuclear power station or an internal combustion engine) you'll only finish up with about 30 to 40% of the input so the primary energy is some 2.5 times what you actually want. My somewhat sarcastic response in a similar discussion elsewhere was to say that a 20% efficient PV array producing 4 kW output has a primary energy of 20 kW so that's what we should compare against the primary energy of fossil fuels.

Edited by Ed Davies

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Okay I am only taking about house electricity, so I guess there is road fuel to add but my road fuel bill is not a lot higher than than  the house electricity bill.

Have you seen the BBC's annual taxi bill? Even your BBC licence fee has an energy component. Now consider your morning bowl of shredded wheat: the nitrogen fertilizer required energy to produce, the sowing and cropping of the wheat, manufacturing and transport to Tesco plus the lighting and heating at the Tesco store. A slice of all that energy has your name on it.

7 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Have you seen the BBC's annual taxi bill? Even your BBC licence fee has an energy component. Now consider your morning bowl of shredded wheat: the nitrogen fertilizer required energy to produce, the sowing and cropping of the wheat, manufacturing and transport to Tesco plus the lighting and heating at the Tesco store. A slice of all that energy has your name on it.

Like I say, very little of my "energy use" is under my control. So don't go blaming ME for MMGW, blame those who seem to use a lot more on my behalf than I do.

7 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I can vouch for the BBC taxi bill probably being extortionate. When I was a guest on Kilroy they sent a chauffeur driven Mercedes to pick me up from home (just outside Salisbury) and drive me to Teddington Lock studio and back.  All for five minutes on daytime TV.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Like I say, very little of my "energy use" is under my control. So don't go blaming ME for MMGW, blame those who seem to use a lot more on my behalf than I do.

According to much of the fringe science thinking I have been following in recent months the earth is on the cusp of a grand solar minimum and heading into the new little ice age, I say wear your CO2 footprint with pride as it is the only thing that will save us from ice festivals on the Thames ?

18 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I can vouch for the BBC taxi bill probably being extortionate. When I was a guest on Kilroy they sent a chauffeur driven Mercedes to pick me up from home (just outside Salisbury) and drive me to Teddington Lock studio and back.  All for five minutes on daytime TV.

Reminds me of my AEA days when one of the site chauffeurs  would take me from South Oxfordshire to Heathrow, and collect me on my return.  That took a lot of stress out of travelling.

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

According to much of the fringe science thinking I have been following in recent months the earth is on the cusp of a grand solar minimum and heading into the new little ice age, I say wear your CO2 footprint with pride as it is the only thing that will save us from ice festivals on the Thames ?

According to much of the mainstream science thinking I was following quite a few years ago [¹] it's clear that even if there is a grand solar minimum it'll only delay our current warming by a few years (a decade or two, maybe). I'm surprised [²] people are still trying this silly argument.

[¹] http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/06/what-if-the-sun-went-into-a-new-grand-minimum/ is a good place to start.

[²] No I'm not. Pissed off might be a better description.