Hairline plaster cracks

vivienz

As my building settles and the newly skimmed plaster dries out, the usual hairline cracks are appearing here and there, mostly along beading lines.

Whilst my scaffolding is still up in here, is there anything I should do about these, or should I just live with them a while and revisit once the building has settled some more?

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent cracks developing in the first year or two after a new house has been built, be nice if there was.  We've now owned three new houses since 1992, and all suffered from cracks in the plaster in the first year or two.  Doesn't seem to matter what the construction method is, either.  It was clear that our last house had been (badly) repaired where old cracks in the plaster hadn't been properly filled, and that was block and brick with plastered block internal walls.  I spent ages going around raking out badly filled cracks when we first bought that house, and cursing the Polyfilla maniac who had just gone around smearing the stuff over the top then painting it.  If only they'd done it properly, and vee'd out the crack, filled it, sanded it smooth and then painted it I'd have not have had to spend a couple of days fixing things properly.

Always lots more cracking on TF

Timber stud wall are a real problem Even on block 

Mf doesn’t  shrink or move 

We also add a deflection head to allow some lateral movement 

We have to allow for a 100 mill of lateral movemt on some of the warehouses