Scaffold towers and lean-tos

gravelld

I'm thinking of hiring a scaffold tower to save a bit of cash and do some render removal myself.

But we have two fairly deep lean-tos at about 3m in depth with a shallow pitch of about 25 degrees. In both cases the lean-to is open to a gable beneath at one end, but not the other.

I've seen there's such a thing as "cantilever" scaffolds for towers but they aren't deep enough to reach the full depth.

Is this something I have to have "proper" scaffolding for?

Can you reach it SAFELY from on th roof

if so build the tower up and bridge across to the roof with scaffold boards, or a youngman 

you will need to protect the roof with something soft and then put a board parallel with the roof and then boards on top of these to form a bridge. 

How wide are the lean to,s   Can you put a tower both sides and span across with a youngman board. 

IF IN ANY DOUBT DONT DO IT. 

AGree with Russell.

However at 25 degrees walking on the tiles with magic shoes may be an option.

Your other option could be to install anchor points for roof ladders, or at least a safety rope.

BUt safety first.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks!

The 25 degrees lean to is ok to walk on carefully, but I don't think it's suitable for working on, especially not with a breaker. There's only one "open" side so we can't span across. Plus it can be accessed along the length. That one is about 2-3m deep. Attached is the photo - "SE.jpg".

The other one is more like 35-40 degrees, about 1.5m deep and can't be walked on. Again, only open on one side, so can't span. On that one the closed side is a rendered wall where the render is going to be replaced, so I could fasten something on that. This is "NE.jpg".

NE.jpg

SE.jpg

This is just for taking the old render off and doing some other jobs at the eaves - full scaffold will be up for the rendering itself. The other option is to remove the render with the full scaffold, but that means paying multiple people to work at the same time due to the scaffold cost, plus I won't necessarily get to do "my jobs" (air tightness, insulation, roof ventilation) at the eaves.

Thanks for the ideas, will investigate.