i hope i am not rambling (as often accused by my wife)

2 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

The joke of a planning officer told me to build half the big house, then go back to them, and apply to knock it and build 2. They would then take into account the large house instead of the existing bungalow. What a great idea .....I could either give £100,000 to a local Dog's home, and homeless charity........ or i could waste it on starting a house and then knock it down, and build 2.  You could'nt make it up.....Where is the joined up thinking ? We answer to such muppets.

You only need to demolish the existing bungalow to lock in the as-yet-not-applied-for consent for a replacement dwelling. Your planning consultant is best placed to deal with the application.

• Like 1

I got my planning by arguing the extension to an old building argument 

but I made a scale model of the bungalow plus all the extensions I could have under pd 

i then made a scale model of the new house

all models where brought out to play at a site meeting with planning officer, with my planning consultant present, council guy looked at it all and new he was on thin ice, I told him I was fully prepared to start building all the extensions, but what is the point of that if I can knock it down and start again, he agreed and we got it. 

My planning cost £14,600 all in. The planning consultant was invaluable as she kept my over enthusiastic tongue in check. 

It sounds like you need to instruct this planning consultant 

oh and buy a gag. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You only need to demolish the existing bungalow to lock in the as-yet-not-applied-for consent for a replacement dwelling. Your planning consultant is best placed to deal with the application.

Good to know, so if i went back with an application to buid a new, to exactly the same design as my extended bungalow, and got that permission. Then knocked my bungalow over. they would then have to look at my application for 2 against the new 300sq ft house ????

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I got my planning by arguing the extension to an old building argument 

but I made a scale model of the bungalow plus all the extensions I could have under pd 

i then made a scale model of the new house

all models where brought out to play at a site meeting with planning officer, with my planning consultant present, council guy looked at it all and new he was on thin ice, I told him I was fully prepared to start building all the extensions, but what is the point of that if I can knock it down and start again, he agreed and we got it. 

My planning cost £14,600 all in. The planning consultant was invaluable as she kept my over enthusiastic tongue in check. 

It sounds like you need to instruct this planning consultant 

oh and buy a gag. 

Russell, you are so right. Letters of complaint to Head of Council, Head of Planning Etc Etc. I have defo upset a few apples, Joke of a system though, and run by muppets. I quite fancy building a few models

I find the best method for me in a meeting is to sit right next to my wife

at the hint that I’m about to start ranting she gives me a swift kick on the shin under the table. 

Regarding our planning consultant, I really wanted a cut n thrust go get them attitude 

but she used to stand very quite at the meetings, all I wanted was her to grab the council guy by the throat and start throttling 

but no she stood there in silence 

then 10 minutes from the end blurted out, 

so according to paragraph 5 of the town and planning act, bla bla bla bla bla, you don’t really have any reason to object

she earned her £5,000 in under 10 minutes 

my plot of land and went up £500,000 over night

if you confident

go get em tiger. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Trouble is, if i build what i want for myself. About 1200sq ft. without knowing that i could get a second house on. I would loose a far old few quid on the sale of my one small house at some point in the future. + i really need the second house, to enable me to keep the first, and have a few quid to live on. If i can't get the certainty of being able to build 2, than my only option will be to do the large one, Flog it, and bugger off

I just meant don't compromise your house for the sake of two similar houses, decide yours first which you seem to have done.

If you want 1200sq feet, and you have permission for 3000 in 1 house, I would be looking to build a second house at 1800sq feet to maximise your retirement pot. Start there and see what the planners say.

If you cannot get permission for two houses, build one sell it and buy yourself something the size you want with the profits is probably your second choice. There is probably a point where planning for two becomes so difficult, time consuming and costly that this might be the better option.

As for planning -

We bought one house to knock down and spoke to the planning department about replacing it with two. They were quite against this as it "changed the spacial aspect of the area" If you ask me you can only see this from Google Maps, but they were pretty firm on this.

We ended up building one house the same size as the two houses mooted previously and they had no issue at all.

Is there some kind of character appraisal for the area that deals with this kind of matter? Or is there some kind of greenbelt development guidance that he council uses? Often you can refer to this if it helps your case.

I think the argument that two houses will make a greenbelt site seem more built up than one is not unreasonable and you need a way around this. Building a big extension or a big rebuild is still not two houses.

My suggestion/question is could the site be split leaving the current building in place. If it can I would apply to split the plot and build a second house. If you get permission for that you can then apply to demolish and rebuild the original building. If this is possible it might be an easier route.

• Like 1