Mild panic as rollercoster ride begins!

OK, completion day today. Should be :D but feeling more like ? with so many decisions.

1) Electricity account set up, readings given for change of owner. Power switched off. Should master fuse be removed?

2) Water meter reading being taken today to notify supplier and change ownership/set up new account. Should water be shut off at external stop cock?

3) Have to tackle council about being new owners. No grace given for property that is not habitable. Does demolition remove council tax liability?

I know you have to apply to demolish a building that gives a notice period. Does requesting exemption from CIL have to occur before demolition?

I am just trying to minimise outgoings during the "design/planning stages"

Any advice welcome as it all gets very real tomorrow morning!

It will be knock down and rebuild. I am trying to conserve the budget until that can happen. Just really glad to have the plot in my name at last.

I know this is very early in the process and I should feel elated about it but that little voice in my head says this is just a small victory in what is in real terms a war!

4 minutes ago, EverHopefull said:

OK, completion day today. Should be :D but feeling more like ? with so many decisions.[...]

That's normal. Prioritise. Develop a thicker than normal skin. Hold on to and remind yourself -often- about your successes.

God knows, I mostly don't take my own advice. Warra eejit, eh?

I will be doing many runs to the local tip to clear the place out firstly. During that time our architect should be knocking about some sketches based on the ever important budget..

I am planning a personal visit to the council office armed with the sales material we had for the house stating it was a development potential sale to see if that wins me any concessions regarding council tax. To be honest I went round the house and it has a leaking roof, around the chimney breast. The carpets and walls are covered in black mould so from a health angle it cannot be safe to live in. The electrics are old bakerlite kind and half the house is dead electrically, possibly a ring failed some how.

Let's see how I get on.

If you want to have this removed from the rating list you need to ask the valuation office, not the local council. From your description I would say there is no chance.

I understand that they ask "Having regard to the character of the property and a reasonable amount of repair works being undertaken could the premises be occupied as a dwelling?"

If the answer is YES then you will not get it removed.

Depends on your risk appetite here -  I kept paying council tax until I had replacement dwelling permission granted then got council round to view it - no electricity, gas or kitchen by then - they were happy to mark it as uninhabitable at that point.  I played it safe as I''m officially outside the village boundary in the national park, so additional rules apply.  Demolition for me starts this week ?