Balustrade firm gone into liquidation, paid by CC and project almost complete

Bitpipe

I had a lot of internal/external balustrade and balcony work supplied and fitted by Elite Balustrade and we were more or less finished bar some snagging - one piece of external stair glass needed re-made as the original template they took was incorrect and some handrail needed fitted (it's on site).

I finally got round to re-templating the glass myself and emailed it to them this week, however they've replied that they've just gone into liquidation and wont be able to deliver. Shame, they did some nice fittings and quality of work was decent however I did need to get them back on site more than once for snagging so I think they struggled to get reliable fitters.

I'm not that concerned as the bulk of work is done so I just need to source a replacement piece of glass and get a fitter to finish off the handrail (will probably use one of their freelance guys who did the original work.)

Question is how do I approach the CC company to fund this?

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I had a lot of internal/external balustrade and balcony work supplied and fitted by Elite Balustrade and we were more or less finished bar some snagging - one piece of external stair glass needed re-made as the original template they took was incorrect and some handrail needed fitted (it's on site).

Wow, didn't see that coming! I had plans to order some glass from them in a few weeks once the weather improves enough for me to finish the fiberglassing on our balconies.

No idea how liquidation works, but is there a potential opportunity to buy fixtures and fittings cheaply from the liquidator? Naturally not bespoke stuff like glass panels, but all the mounting bits and pieces.

That’s rubbish! But on the CC front just call the credit card company and report it initially and they will mark the payment as in dispute which should mean that they contact the company involved. They should also send you information about how to pursue the claim. 

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I finally got round to re-templating the glass myself and emailed it to them this week, however they've replied that they've just gone into liquidation and wont be able to deliver. Shame, they did some nice fittings and quality of work was decent however I did need to get them back on site more than once for snagging so I think they struggled to get reliable fitters.

I'm not that concerned as the bulk of work is done so I just need to source a replacement piece of glass and get a fitter to finish off the handrail (will probably use one of their freelance guys who did the original work.)

Question is how do I approach the CC company to fund this?

Get sufficient proof that they are bust, or have checked, and they will take your say-so as enough to reverse the payment, probably over the phone.

The only issue I can see is if their is a regulation about part-payments.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Get sufficient proof that they are bust, or have checked, and they will take your say-so as enough to reverse the payment, probably over the phone.

The only issue I can see is if their is a regulation about part-payments.

Not sure how quickly Companies House gets update but still showing them as trading - apparently the liquidation started last week and I have an email from them stating that they can’t deliver my order for this reason.

FCFE0378-57EF-4591-969E-EA0F8F610F18.png

I had something that hadn’t been delivered when House of Fraser went tits up initially. I just called Barclaycard and they put the transaction in as a dispute and refunded me. It was under £100 so they didn’t need to and I was surprised but pleased. 

• 6 months later...

An end to the tale.

The bank (who sit behind the credit card I used) requested an independent report on the incomplete works  & quote to remediate. I used the fitter who installed it all on behalf of the supplier and was left seriously out of pocket when they folded (N.B. they have miraculously arisen again from the ashes, trading as a supply only firm).

Bank have agreed to settle for the amount on his quote as full & final closure of issue so I'm happy, as is the fitter.

If I were cynical, I could have inflated his quote by a few £  and pocketed the difference - they're taking it at face value. But I'm not :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

An end to the tale.

The bank (who sit behind the credit card I used) requested an independent report on the incomplete works  & quote to remediate. I used the fitter who installed it all on behalf of the supplier and was left seriously out of pocket when they folded (N.B. they have miraculously arisen again from the ashes, trading as a supply only firm).

Bank have agreed to settle for the amount on his quote as full & final closure of issue so I'm happy, as is the fitter.

If I were cynical, I could have inflated his quote by a few £  and pocketed the difference - they're taking it at face value. But I'm not :)

Your too honest. I definitely would have added a bit to cover all the running around trying to sort it out.