Alternative ideas for a focal point in a room

Nick1c

I have been told that a woodburner in the new house is 'non-negotiable'. Whilst I love a fire as much as the next person my concern is that having spent several thousand pounds on a stove it will either not be used or we will be sitting round it sweating! Other than enjoying the flames it would however act as a focal point in the room, what have others done for this?

I've seen pictures of a big oak timber - 4 ish feet high by about 10 inches square i would say, with alternating circles cut out either side and used as a wine rack.

If you like the look of a wood burner, it would be quite cool to convert one into a disguised whiskey cabinet. 

I was also told a WBS was a definite requirement and it’s great, we were told we would overheat (impossible for my missus ?) but a couple of hours and the room gets up to about 28 (toasty), doors open and it has migrated through the house. What is interesting is even by the following morning the lounge is still at about 24, and the UFH has not kicked in all night.  I think the brickwork around it acts like a heat store. (Intentional)

3D2131BB-95C8-4770-B6AB-7DD98F2E4CD9.jpeg

Edited by joe90

30 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I was also told a WBS was a definite requirement and it’s great, we were told we would overheat (impossible for my missus ?) but a couple of hours and the room gets up to about 28 (toasty), doors open and it has migrated through the house. What is interesting is even by the following morning the lounge is still at about 24, and the UFH has not kicked in all night.  I think the brickwork around it acts like a heat store. (Intentional)

3D2131BB-95C8-4770-B6AB-7DD98F2E4CD9.jpeg

Im the exact same.  Fire it up and let it heat the house for 2-3 days depending on how cold it is outside.  A lazy Sunday with the stove flickering away is hard to beat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick1c said:

I have been told that a woodburner in the new house is 'non-negotiable'. Whilst I love a fire as much as the next person my concern is that having spent several thousand pounds on a stove it will either not be used or we will be sitting round it sweating! Other than enjoying the flames it would however act as a focal point in the room, what have others done for this?

We are having this dilemma at the moment. I think a lot depends on what type of property it is, as if it is an older looking house then a focal point like a fire is probably a must. Our build is very contemporary and we think we could get away without a fire if we decide not to have one. Just Google or use Pinterest to look at what people have done, it really is a great source foe ideas.

Those electric wall-hanging pseudo stoves are quite acceptable imo.

Or go against tired convention and put something else there - interesting sculpture, long lasting plant arrangement, or rotate it like the Fourth Plinth.

A mirror at the back works well. Perhaps with some nice candles in front?

Ideas here: https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/home-makeovers/g2260/non-working-fireplace-ideas/

Ferdinand

• Like 1