Hot tap dribble

vfrdave

Help please

In my current property the hot tap in the bathroom has been reduced to a mere trickle to the point it is more or less useless.

Pressure/flow was never great but this is horrendous now.  Other hot taps in the property are generally fine.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

How about just fit a new tap, one of the nice modern quarter turn ones with a ceramic cartridge instead of old fashioned tap washers?

Not my house unfortunately, bit rental agent is not that responsive.

Ok so this is gravity fed not mains.

With the hot water running, put your hand tight over the end of the spout so the palm of your hand stops the water coming out of the spout. Then turn the cold tap on ( that will be at mains pressure ) and slowly force cold back up the hot pipe. It sounds like an airlock so back off with the chainsaw just yet ;) 

Just now, vfrdave said:

This is it @Nickfromwales in all its glory.

15500127600228289405228985553053.jpg

Tidy, cheers. As that's a basin the cold may also be gravity fed. Do as I said and try to force cold back up the hot, and if that doesn't work ( after a max of 30 seconds of 'reversed flow' ) then the issue may well be a cream-crackered tap. Does this match the bath taps? If so you'll need to get the cartridge out and get new replacements or you'll have to change both. 

I had the same dripping tap problem, my fix was the remove the ceramic disc cartridge and using a peice of glass and some Cif (any fine abrasive cleaner will do).   I put a blob on the glass, dropped the ceramic disc into the blob and using a figure of 8 action polished the disc, this removes any lime scale on the disc and ensures it’s flat. Wash the disk and reassemble the tap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So just another update, this has still been an issue and we are persevering with it. Tonight I stripped the tap and the rubber stopper on the end of the cartridge isn't in great shape.  Put it back together and tap working alot better but reckon the cartridge rubber washer thing, what's it called, needs replacing.

Anyone know where I can get a 16 spline cartridge? Or can I get a 20 and do a mix and match with the old one to suit.

Existing one working much better but now not sealing off fully leaving a constant dribble of hot water.