Sewage SOS

vivienz

14 minutes ago, vivienz said:

For a 3 man team, 1 labourer, 1 on the dumper and 1 on the digger, £415per day.

So £150 per man day, quite reasonable, probably more for the digger driver and less for the others.

What about plant hire costs?

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So £150 per man day, quite reasonable, probably more for the digger driver and less for the others.

What about plant hire costs?

I will cover those. There's a local hire firm with reasonable rates and I've used them a few times.

With me he even got me a deal on ‘surplus to requirements’ pipe and bends from a n other Groundworker so I think he’s unlikely to be trying to stiff you on materials.  Admittedly he’s not ‘cheap’ but he’s effective.  That £415 for 3 team IS cheap, I’d expect £515 from him.   I’d honestly be more inclined to cross check his time estimate than his materials.  You mentioned in an earlier thread he was pushing to use Hepworth stuff......this might just be his perception that you only want the best rather than his insistence...he just automatically got me polypipe and I didn’t think to question it.  At this stage he knows your site and job so should be able to identify to you where the problem/expensive/slow bits are better than anyone....push him for a comprehensive walk-through.  

1 hour ago, mvincentd said:

With me he even got me a deal on ‘surplus to requirements’ pipe and bends from a n other Groundworker so I think he’s unlikely to be trying to stiff you on materials.  Admittedly he’s not ‘cheap’ but he’s effective.  That £415 for 3 team IS cheap, I’d expect £515 from him.   I’d honestly be more inclined to cross check his time estimate than his materials.  You mentioned in an earlier thread he was pushing to use Hepworth stuff......this might just be his perception that you only want the best rather than his insistence...he just automatically got me polypipe and I didn’t think to question it.  At this stage he knows your site and job so should be able to identify to you where the problem/expensive/slow bits are better than anyone....push him for a comprehensive walk-through.  

What was your total costs for groundworks?

For the perimeter drains, installation of the sewage plant (already purchased), all labour and materials, 11k. He has stated 2 weeks labour for the 3 man team and included 3 lots of muckaway. It's the materials cost I have the issue with, not labour or plant hire.

The 2 IC's at the turn point of the two garage corners, prior to the one directly for the plant, are surplus to requirement. There's no reason why they couldn't be long radius bends IMO. As @PeterW said, a bit OTT.

Peter, if the underground rainwater stuff is all French, is there any point in gulley pots? I'd say just drop straight into the ground on rest bends with rodding access immediately above ground. I'd expect this to be ~£4k *max tbh, considering plant is being provided.

*Edit £4k labour

£7k materials is a bit :/………..

46 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What was your total costs for groundworks?

I doubt the chap @vivienz and I have in common had more than 4k off me for a 2 team labour, to level and blind approx 180 Sqm, and lay approx 70m of drainage inc 2 IC’s and 5cu of crates.  I’m guessing at materials here, around 2k, I paid for direct.  

@vivienz at £11k I can see why you are questioning!

Edited by mvincentd
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vivienz said:

For the perimeter drains, installation of the sewage plant (already purchased), all labour and materials, 11k. He has stated 2 weeks labour for the 3 man team and included 3 lots of muckaway. It's the materials cost I have the issue with, not labour or plant hire.

I nearly swallowed my false tooth..... 10 lots of £415 (above) ... plant already on site...is £4150. And the final price is more than double that? Whas' goin' on ?

It won't be hard to do a quick search on https://www.drainageonline.co.uk/ (there are loads of others) to get a general indication of materials price.