Cutting Impey former

In my endless quest to save pennies during our build, I have come across an Impey aquadec former for sale that would fit very nicely in our first floor master bathroom. It’s bargainous, but typically, not the absolute exact thing that one would ideally want. So, I dislike mosaic tiles, and Union Jack cuts in larger tiles when used with a former. Downstairs, no problemo as casting our falls in a screed and using a linear drain. Upstairs though... 

The former for sale has a round hole for a standard waste. I would like a rectangular hole to fit my linear waste. Can I cut it or is that waste-of-time-and-money- madness? The FAQ refers to cutting with a handsaw but I assume that is for cutting length or width, not farting about with the middle. 

Advice much appreciated :) 

dj 

I recall that my Impey wetroom former came with a matched waste.

Therefore when installed, the former sat on joists to make it flush with the 22mm deck around it, the tanking layer went over the top of everything and the waste neatly slotted into the former (making a necessary cut in the tanking membrane, folding the edge into the drain area) so any water that penetrates the tiles would hit the tanking layer and end up in the drain.

Your challenge may be to make your cut tidy wrt with the drain you're using. 

• Thanks 1

It’s a fair and sensible point, but moot in the end because it turns out the one for sale is the vinyl version (level dec) not the tileable aquadec. 

So, I’m now looking for a linear waste former, 1850 x 900, with 2 falls (not 4). Impey make one, but it is £600! Excluding waste and tanking! The marmox one has 4 falls, meaning presumably, that I’d have to cut my tiles diagonally. Nooooooooo. Tiles are 400x600. 

Buggeration. Fibreglass was suggested, but is apparently a bugger to tile over, so that’s out. I have 50mm depth to play with - we created a well for the shower area when the floor was laid initially.