Quick bit of help please: which way round?

I'm putting 70mm of insulation under my joists. Using 100mm screws and insulation washers.

Pesky little things insulation washers; they don't tell you which way round to attach them .....

Wrinkly side-up or smooth side up?

20190211_122132.thumb.jpg.eb0ba79d4a8eec5ef9d03b719692f745.jpg

Theres a bit of me which thinks that I should have the smooth side uppermost. But you know me and thinking about stuff. Too much too often.

Does it even matter?

6 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I'm putting 70mm of insulation under my joists. Using 100mm screws and insulation washers.

Pesky little things insulation washers; they don't tell you which way round to attach them .....

Wrinkly side-up or smooth side up?

20190211_122132.thumb.jpg.eb0ba79d4a8eec5ef9d03b719692f745.jpg

Theres a bit of me which thinks that I should have the smooth side uppermost. But you know me and thinking about stuff. Too much too often.

Does it even matter?

One on the right 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Ok.... erm, why Gary?   (sorry mate)

Normally the flat side Against the insulation 

I don’t supose it would matter 

The left one would dig into the insulation when you knock it on 

left one -

-how you fitting drywall on top of this ?

direct with screws or batons ?

maybe make sure your drywall fixings don,t clash with theses fixings 

fixings done like left one could break the foil on insulation ?

Edited by scottishjohn

Won't really matter as your going to have to screw it in far enough that it breaks the foil slightly so it sits flush or you will have bumps in the plasterboard.  If you are going to batten over it then and board  then it won't need to bust the foil.  

Assuming you are battening. (I would. So I could use an auto feed gun for plasterboard) I can't see it would matter which way round. Just put a couple in per board and let the battens hold the sheets up properly. Also battens would allow a service void for all your lighting cables. (unless of course they already have a route) 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 16:11, Construction Channel said:

Assuming you are battening. (I would. So I could use an auto feed gun for plasterboard) I can't see it would matter which way round. Just put a couple in per board and let the battens hold the sheets up properly. Also battens would allow a service void for all your lighting cables. (unless of course they already have a route) 

fixing batons will be interesting  as the fixings screws will need  to be very very long 

70mm foam +50mm baton=120mm + fixing in rafters =150mm+ ?

sorry,

re read 70mm  insulation  --sure in another post you said 80mm insulation --still a very long screws

Edited by scottishjohn

55 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

9EA8107E-CF22-42FE-8DE3-A01480D0EB9A.thumb.jpeg.5329751d51a94d1ed991c9a50e0bd8ee.jpeg

@recoveringacademicJust a thought, if you run out of those dreadful plastic things buy some of these instead loads better, sit flatter, don’t damage face of insulation so much. 

Got a link? What are they called?

...other than "the blades from my old Mum's mincing machine"? :)

Thanks for the support.

The thread on underboarding too early  ( Woke up in a cold sweat ) is related to this one ; the advice @PeterW  gave is the one I'd prefer to follow. (Place some 4 by 2 across the bottom of the rafters and butt the insulation up to that.)

Recently  I have been  glancing  at  ceilings to see if I can detect the bumps made my the washers holding the underboarding. And of course, I hardly ever see any, because very few houses have underboarded rafters (I assume) - and I hardly ever get off the site. 

Nerd......

38 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Wow  @recoveringacademic your washers look like something from Hubble ! I ran out of penny washers to hold up my insulation and as the postie is away on holiday for two weeks I needed to improvise..... bandsaw, pillar - drill - bandsaws. Done ! Made about 100 in no time at all. 

66D951C6-FC27-4441-AC79-04DA99E82F79.jpeg

Don't they need to be round!!