Automated garage door

nod

Myself and my wife have just fitted our garage door 

The quotes that we were getting for a fitted door where double what we paid 

It took us two hours to fit and I had a further hour setting the limits 

Exstremely easy to fit Though an exstra pair of hands feeding the curtain in would have made it even quicker 

image.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see it's a sensible design with a wired safety switch at the bottom. 

I made a mistake in buying a Seceuroglide door, that has a wireless safety edge at the bottom.  What they don't tell you is that the wireless safety edge eats very expensive lithium batteries, plus you have to undo half a dozen self-tapping screws, screwed into flimsy plastic, in order to replace these batteries.  After three battery changes I found the screws were no longer secure, and started falling out as the door operated.

I enquired about a new safety edge transmitter and it's a ludicrous price, so I removed the Seceuroglide control system completely, discovered that the roller motor and limit switches were pretty standard and would work with any controller, so added a much cheaper controller and wired safety switch.  This has no batteries and just works reliably.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nod said:

Myself and my wife have just fitted our garage door 

The quotes that we were getting for a fitted door where double what we paid 

It took us two hours to fit and I had a further hour setting the limits 

Exstremely easy to fit Though an exstra pair of hands feeding the curtain in would have made it even quicker 

image.jpg

We saved £1500 on buying and fitting two Hormann doors over what the fitted price was. 

2 hours ago, wozza said:

Can you give me some details on the door? Manufacturer, Supplier etc.

I will be needing one soon.

Thanks, Wozza.

It was Easyfit garage doors 

4.6 wide x 220

cost 1050 plus 

300 of that was for the non standard colour 

Sectional was another 300 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Nice to see it's a sensible design with a wired safety switch at the bottom. 

I made a mistake in buying a Seceuroglide door, that has a wireless safety edge at the bottom.  What they don't tell you is that the wireless safety edge eats very expensive lithium batteries, plus you have to undo half a dozen self-tapping screws, screwed into flimsy plastic, in order to replace these batteries.  After three battery changes I found the screws were no longer secure, and started falling out as the door operated.

I enquired about a new safety edge transmitter and it's a ludicrous price, so I removed the Seceuroglide control system completely, discovered that the roller motor and limit switches were pretty standard and would work with any controller, so added a much cheaper controller and wired safety switch.  This has no batteries and just works reliably.

They now use a 2 screw cover and 2 x 1.5 volt AA Batteries.

35 minutes ago, wozza said:

They now use a 2 screw cover and 2 x 1.5 volt AA Batteries.

Thanks, it looks like they have reacted to customer complaints.  Having to fork out around £6 for two 3.6V AA size lithium cells every six to nine months, plus the fiddle of dismantling the (fragile) sensor housing to get at them, was something that managed to really hack me off.  When I contacted them about the problem, saying that the screws were now so loose that they were falling out, all they suggested was replacing the whole wireless sensor unit, at a really silly price.  It was much cheaper to buy a complete new (non-Seceuroglide)  control box than it was to just replace the Seceuroglide wireless sensor.

Interesting discussion.

The one I fitted does not have a safe edge. Instead it's safety feature is it will only travel downwards while you hold your finger on the button. That applies to both the button on the controller and the remote controls.

I can't say I am bothered and like the simplicity.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Interesting discussion.

The one I fitted does not have a safe edge. Instead it's safety feature is it will only travel downwards while you hold your finger on the button. That applies to both the button on the controller and the remote controls.

I can't say I am bothered and like the simplicity.

I actually wanted a manual door, but couldn't find anyone who sold one in a domestic paint/powder coat finish, plus the industrial manual doors I did find cost more than an electric one.  The controls on mine now are just a rocker switch that has to be held down to make the door go up or down, and that's fine, much better than the overly complex pile of crap that Seceuroglide fitted to the door.

12 minutes ago, wozza said:

Can you tell me the manufacturer?

I am researching now as much as possible ready for my new door.

I will have to wade through receipts, came from Hull I believe, will get back to you. It was a bespoke size and only problem was a part became faulty, they asked me if I could replace it and they sent me a spare part.