New toy advice

Alexphd1

Got a job to drill my skis with 6.5mm holes for new bindings. If I take them to the local shop probably cost me in the region of £150 so looking to treat myself to a pillar/bench drill to make job easier. I have been lurking on some woodwork forums and they have knocked the Aldi/lidil ones (apart from warranty) so been looking around and trying to keep it under £100. The small Clarke trade one has caught my eye but usually wary of Clarke tools. 

Have been looking locally for old heavy duty drills as I believe buy good buy once but nothing has came up. 

Any recommendations advice welcome. 

Clarke one 

https://www.buildingsuppliesdirect.com/clarke-cdp102b-350w-bench-drill-press-230v-6505512

Edited by Alexphd1

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-tools-drilling-morticing-machines-drilling-machines-16mm-bench-pillar-drill-rutlands+dk7228

Slightly more money but heavier  by 6kg and more speed and chuck adjustment. Have seen this for £100 on various occasions, sometimes you can track down discount codes...... don’t know what postage would be.......  

• Like 1

I've a cheapo Rolson...bought new for about £39.99. It is what it is but seen some use. 

Also got a Rexon DP-250A. Cracking little machine. Well made and you can get spares. 

Buying a small one now I'd probably go for something like this:

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/129321-record-dp16b-bench-drill-12-inch-chuck-240-volt.aspx?

I’m with @Cpd on this and would go for the Rutland one. Their stuff is pretty well made and the benefit is the chuck is much bigger - 16mm is a hefty drill bit however it also means you can fit stuff such as broaching cutters if you wanted too. 

I have one of the cheap "no name" benchtop pillar drills, bought from CPC about 30 years ago and still going strong.  For occasional DIY use I would have no hesitation buying the one in Lidl at the moment if I did not already have one (just bought another £25 multitool from them)

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-tools-drilling-morticing-machines-drilling-machines-16mm-bench-pillar-drill-rutlands+dk7228

Slightly more money but heavier  by 6kg and more speed and chuck adjustment. Have seen this for £100 on various occasions, sometimes you can track down discount codes...... don’t know what postage would be.......  

Just read your link. £120 with a 16mm chuck. I'd go for it too over my Record suggestion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

doing mortice and tenon joints.

I have a dedicated morticing machine that I only use rarely but when I do it’s a godsend, I find I use the pillar drill a lot more but I am living in the sticks and have to repair my own fleet of old bangers also doing my own house renovations and shed building all by myself so need a whole plethora of toys in the workshop...... well that’s what I tell people.......

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I also have a cheap small pillar drill which does not get used much, but when I do it’s a godsend. I also have a mortice machine which gets used once in a blue moon, but brilliant when I do. Some say they are “boys toys “ but at least a toy that does good  work.

If I remember when I see him next, I’ll ask my mate where he got his from. It’s only a 500w but it’s got a 16mm chuck and he’s fitted a speed controller from eBay (cost about £6 iirc) and he can basically turn it all the way down to tapping speeds using the same belt size. 

• 1 month later...