need to find how close mains water +sewerage services are?

scottishjohn

this site will send you a PDF file showing all in your area  for £54 inc vat 

Site Investigation Services (UK) Limited 
Abden House, 6 Linton Court, Kinghorn, Fife, KY3 9YH

Tel: 0333 123 1223  Mob: 07912 506 505     or please visit us at 
www.siteinvest.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No. 6511672   -   80 Baddow Road, Chelmsford, CM2 7PJ

I found that the utility companies would do this for free, on request.  For example, I emailed Wessex Water and they replied with a PDF map attached showing their water and sewerage network (as much of it they knew about) the same day.

My guess is this company is just charging people for info that they could have got directly from the utility companies, had they asked.  I don't know whether or not it's any more accurate; my guess would be that the definitive records are held by the utility companies themselves (not that that means they are accurate, as we discovered).

That’s like the companies a lot of solicitors use for drainage but just relating to water and drainage. Their full search is £540 which is eye watering though ..! There are cheaper ways to find gas and electric out there. 

I’ve also noticed Virgin Media have stopped providing their network info - do wonder if that has anything to do with them doing more commercial and secure networks. 

yes but if just want a quick check on a plot before buying to see where things are ,and not just take sellers word for it- its instant and not expensive in the scheme of things

JS -- tried that with scottish water-- no interested till you put a full application in 

It certainly suited my position as I  knew I was  at end of services --so wanted an idea of distance for cost before waiting for solictors etc -

still not bought yet !! -sellers solicitors are so slow - .

they said water was on site 

yes a cattle trough --but  that pipe comes under another persons ground + is only 25mm!! 

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That’s like the companies a lot of solicitors use for drainage but just relating to water and drainage. Their full search is £540 which is eye watering though ..! There are cheaper ways to find gas and electric out there. 

I’ve also noticed Virgin Media have stopped providing their network info - do wonder if that has anything to do with them doing more commercial and secure networks. 

If you know of cheaper that would also be a good post for people to have as a resource 

@Russell griffiths it’s an online service now I think that does that.

@scottishjohn you could try National One Call who do the dial before dig service that contractors use. Looks like SW are one of those companies that charge a fair whack (the £57 in your link) for plans but NOC say they are the cheapest. 

National One Call 

So just ask SW for a quote for a new connection?  That will come with the plans of where the pipes run, what pipes will be laid etc.  I don't recall a charge for getting a quote, but it did take a few weeks.

But you say there is an existing supply?  Have tou measured the pressure and flow rate from it?

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So just ask SW for a quote for a new connection?  That will come with the plans of where the pipes run, what pipes will be laid etc.  I don't recall a charge for getting a quote, but it did take a few weeks.

That's exactly what I did with Wessex Water, before we agreed to purchase our plot.  Not only did they email me the map showing local services but they also sent a chap out to measure up and provide the info they needed to give a quote.  There was no charge for this, neither was there a charge from SSE or Openreach for doing the same for their services.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

But you say there is an existing supply?  Have tou measured the pressure and flow rate from it?

its a cattle trough in 25mm , and i wanted to know now not in a few weeks time 

I can use that while building  .but as they are other complications with roads etc ,wanted to leave real water connection till I could get all that sorted out + dug in one go 

Edited by scottishjohn

The fact is is feeding a cattle trough is not the problem.  Neither is 25mm necessarily (my supply is 25mm)

It all depends where it is coming from, how long, what the pressure is etc.

If it is working with adequate pressure and flow and is an official SW supply then you have no problem, so I would be out with a pressure gauge, a bucket of known capacity and a stopwatch.

Agreed if you do need a new supply, then coordinate all utilities to for example do them all in one road crossing.