Inexperienced self-builder shoots self in foot: again.

10 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

looks good. your tiling when you are not on the beer, must be fantastic.

I don't know about that, tbh its the main area that lets the side down imo.

With hindsight I'd have probably aimed from the beginning for a 2%  fall. Tbh I sort of did I thought. Calc'd a 13 - 26mm fall and reckoned I'd end up at 18mm from memory because of accumulative issues. There were constraints with bending the mesh down and worries over concrete coverage over the pipes. The use of the angle iron formers proved a great idea if I say so myself!

IMG_20180330_160659218

IMG_20180330_160739735

20180401_153630

Should be able to make out the fall lines:

2018-04-02_09-56-57

You can see the (decent?) fall here:

20180401_190626

It's got to be the tiling bed thickness where I went "wrong". Tbh the concrete was all dead flat due to screed rails being used so ideal or tiling straight onto. I should have used maybe a 6mm bed under the falls area and 10mm on the main floor!

5 hours ago, Oz07 said:

What about those panels @Nickfromwales recommended for me. [...]

Dont tell me .... the name of the panel is  a secret just between you and the Welsh plumber.... ?

PS, just had a thought ... might it be this Impey Graded Screed Floor Former?

(Apologies for the error earlier)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

OMGG. Your first link was better

you need to put up some pics to show us what you have

preferably with a straight edge in the pic

Impey Aqua Dec's a great idea imo. The plastic former stays in situ after you've screeded. If I hadn't gone with my angle iron idea I'd have made something similar.

Not sure it helps but you can get pretty big shower trays like 2000*900 just 40mm high. Less 25mm would give you a 15mm step. Would that be ok for a wheel chair?

https://www.nwtdirect.co.uk/shower-trays/1580-extra-large-rectangular-shower-trays-1800mm-and-2000mm-wide-includes-90mm-waste.html#/159-legs_panels_shower_tray_-no/497-shower_tray_size-2000mm_x_900mm

2 hours ago, Temp said:

Not sure it helps but you can get pretty big shower trays like 2000*900 just 40mm high. Less 25mm would give you a 15mm step. Would that be ok for a wheel chair?

https://www.nwtdirect.co.uk/shower-trays/1580-extra-large-rectangular-shower-trays-1800mm-and-2000mm-wide-includes-90mm-waste.html#/159-legs_panels_shower_tray_-no/497-shower_tray_size-2000mm_x_900mm

Ours is a 2000 x 900, 40mm deep.  I laid 9mm marine ply, glued and screwed to the floor around it. then tiled the floor with 12mm thick travertine, and the result is that the shower tray is about level with a bath mat laid by the opening.  There would be no problem at all in getting a wheelchair into it.

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Tbf that's one's probably more useful for me at the moment ?

One for you (and me) on TV then tomorrow night. 8.30pm:

https://www.channel4.com/tv-guide/2019/02/11

Pretty sure my weight gain coincided with prescribed antibiotics over a few years in my early 20s. Upset my microbiome I reckon.

Edited by Onoff

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:10, Alexphd1 said:

@temp do you have any experience with that nwt link, looks perfect for me.

No sorry. When we built our place I bookmarked a bunch of large shallow shower tray suppliers not all of which still exist, but in the end went for a taller travertine tray.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

No sorry. When we built our place I bookmarked a bunch of large shallow shower tray suppliers not all of which still exist, but in the end went for a taller travertine tray.

you guys have comfirmed what  i thought --leave wet room floor 100 mm   down and make it up later  when she has decided on fittings

On 08/02/2019 at 12:52, recoveringacademic said:

I've got 25mm left. Between the slab and FFL. And we want a wet room. Ain't gonna happen is it?

Well anyway thats what the man from Topps tiles said. 

Yes, yes, I know. And if you look at some of my earlier threads (2 - 3  years ago) you'll  understand why. 

Moving swiftly on, I need to dig out.  By how much?

(PS, I've got the drain hole in the right place - and for me thats a success)

Weren't you planning to camouflage the door to this, @recoveringacademic?

Another Example, by making the wall stripey. Male it full height and it would be completely hidden.

1364632047_20190206_1130221.thumb.jpg.753a43556495b6f8fbc150ea9a610e54.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Weren't you planning to camouflage the door to this, @recoveringacademic?

Another Example, by making the wall stripey. Male it full height and it would be completely hidden.

1364632047_20190206_1130221.thumb.jpg.753a43556495b6f8fbc150ea9a610e54.jpg

Apart from the clearly visible door handle and hinges I can barely see the door at all ?. Not a bad effort though